PVC trim
I just changed out the brick molding on a door with PVC. What is best for filling the nail holes? What do I need to know about painting it? I am not looking to change the color just paint over the caulking so it doesn't attract dirt.
I used Elmer's wood putty on some porch columns I made. They were painted with latex primer and topcoat from SW, can't remember which one but it's what the guy recommended for PVC and it looks great after about 3 years now. And you can't see where the puttied holes are.

John
I used some PVC trim last year and I used white caulk to fill the nail holes. A year later they still look fine.

This from Fine Home Building:

PVC trim is becoming more popular every day for its durability and clean look. A lot of people think you don't have to paint it but that's not true. We asked pro painter Jim Lacey how to paint it right.

Jim's tips for filling nail holes in PVC:
-Use a 2-part epoxy nail-hole filler made for PVC.
-Using your hands, blend the two different epoxy components until the color is evenly mixed.
-Only mix as much epoxy as you can use in fifteen minutes.
-Applcation: For small holes use your finger. For larger holes use a 1-inch putty knife.
-Completely fill the nail holes, leaving them slightly crowned to sand after the epoxy sets. Or, work it as smooth as possible by shaving it off with a putty knife or working it in with your fingertips.
-For sanding, use 100 to 120 grit sandpaper with light pressure.
-Use a dry rag to clean away any dust.

Jim's tips for painting PVC:
-Always paint PVC for mildew and dirt resistance.
-Don't use a primer.
-Use a 100% Acrylic paint.
-Spot prime large nail holes with the Acrylic paint.

Read more: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/215...z3mOsuSP2d
Follow us: @fhbweb on Twitter | FineHomebuildingMagazine on Facebook
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.