Buy used tools;
Who is the best person to get used tools from. I bought from Walt and was always happy with every transaction. I am not looking for valuable antiques, just good users. I need something {scratch} want something every now and then.
Admiral is probably the most active tool seller here on Woodnet, followed by SteveF, enjuneer, and Gregory of Sherwood Forest - all highly respected. Our elder statesman, Timberwolf, has top-quality tools from time to time.

Also, Google Hyperkitten and get on his mailing list - he's a Woodnetter too.

I have tools that I've purchased from each of these members.

I'm sure that there are others, but are the ones that I recall quickly.

Richard

Edited to correct spelling error.
Dowds tools from up here in DFW usually makes a trip or 2 down to Austin every year. He usually puts out the word in advance and has tons of stuff.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Keep your eyes peeled in S&S for what you want. Most of the stuff in there is at a fair price and I don't think there are many out to rob us. Keep in mind the really good deals go fast. I'm talking 15 minutes fast.

carl
+1 for Lynn Dowd. Good guy, good tools.
Since you are in Texas, Lynn Dowd is a great source. He often posts on Facebook when he gets a large haul. I've known him to entertain the occasional residential visit where things can fall off his shelf as well.
I'd like to mention the good service and fair prices I've received from Dave Parkis in New York state.

I started hand tool wood working a couple years ago here in Wisconsin and got connected with Dave through Greg of Kansas City.

I've purchased a half dozen or so different tools from Dave. He ships the most reasonable way, has fair prices, and has been kind enough to provide advice over the phone to me when I've needed it.
Working to earn my Masters of Doing Nothing!
+2 on Lynn Dowd.

Josh Clark also has great stuff. He's a member here, and his tools are posted at http://hyperkitten.com/tools/ForSale/Tools_FS.php
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I am retiring at the end of the month and the excessive time requirements of my current job will vanish. The tool sale begins in a few weeks as I expect to move a few truckloads of mostly Stanley planes.

Check S&S for my listings. In the meantime, PM me if you need anything special.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
JimReed@Tallahassee said:

I am retiring at the end of the month and the excessive time requirements of my current job will vanish. The tool sale begins in a few weeks as I expect to move a few truckloads of mostly Stanley planes.

Check S&S for my listings. In the meantime, PM me if you need anything special.

Congratulations on you upcoming retirement - and the upcoming sale - WOHOO!!!!! Can't wait to see what comes out of the boneyard!

Richard