Redoing exterior faux stone veneer--advise needed
I'd like to replace the faux (man made) exterior stone veneer on the outside of my house. I really dislike the orangish tones and it really doesn't match my house or the retaining wall stone I'd like to use. One of these stones fell off on it's own and I had no trouble popping two off on my own. The stones are releasing from the "buttered" portion of the mortar which was added to the scratch coat. It would be nice if the breaking of the bond was occurring AT the scratch coat and not leaving the "buttered" part attached.

All this said, I'd like to pop these off and start over with what would be the smartest way and least amount of work. I also have to keep thickness in mind. The stone on the wall is thick and they do make thinner veneers now. Would you consider this route and just go right back over the top of what's left after popping off the existing stone? I really can't think of any other way that doesn't include new lathe (chicken wire), new scratch coat, ect. This isn't an option for me. My other concern is the strength of the bond if I mix up some type S mortar, butter a new stone and then stick it in place. Any reason to think I wouldn't get a good bond? I could also scratch some new groove in what's left with a grinder to create some channels for more grip. Any thoughts would be very appreciated.