Bath fitters ?
Anybody use them ? The good.. the bad ..the ugly? Does the tub hold up ?
I just want the tub and surround.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Don't know anything about them--but I can tell you dealing with these heavily advertised companies can be very expensive. A few years ago, we contacted two outfits we saw at a home show to convert a shower/bathtub into a walk-in shower----both were extremely expensive----like almost twice what it cost us for a local contractor to do the job.
Dave
They were at a neighbors house a while ago. I was not impressed! The neighbors replaced it last month. They were not pleased.
Cheaper to redo the bathroom and will get a better job.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
My surround is in good shape. It's the tub . I would love to avoid removing it. I have done it before...just don't' want to do it again. Does any finish hold up on a tub? Do they sell those fit over tubs ?

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I think the Borgs sell a tub refinishing kit, no idea what kind of a job it does.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Re-finishing or bath fitters---both are poor substitutes for a new tub. If you simply couldn't stand replacing the surround---I'd at least check into refinishing---at least that technology has been around for a while longer---but again, chose wisely---if the contractor isn't going to strip down the finish and have a cure time for the finish----you're wasting your money.
Dave
After I saw their display at the local county fair, I would never call them (Bath Fitters) to do anything....the display I saw really looked like crap. That said, someone here had them re do their bath and from the pics it looked quite nice and they were happy with it. Can't remember who it was, but maybe they'll chime in. Not to disagree with Dave, but in our last house we had a professional refinisher repair a crack in a shower tray, and recoat the entire surface to give it some grit. It really turned out nice, color matched perfectly (harvest gold, if you can believe that) and held up quite well for the next 3 years before we sold the house. Consider a pro refinisher, but not the DIY kits.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I had Bath Fitters come out and give a quote two years ago. I think it was around 14-15k just for an acrylic tub/wall enclosure.

Ended up going with local contractor for 12k. Ripped and replaced floor and tub. Moved toilet over (not easy on slab) and installed walk in shower with seat (base is blocks, not wood).

We are happy with what we got.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
It should stand up like any acrylic surface. For a guest bath, probably fine. For an everyday bath, not as good.

If you are looking to save some money, refinishing seems like a good deal. About $500.00 to $800.00 and in and out in a day: http://www.towncontractors.com/markleysb...tubs-price

Liners vs refinishing:

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/bath...htub-Liners.htm
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.