Help a new turner out. Questions about Powermatic lathe.
I recently bought a Powermatic lathe from the SnS forum here, I paid $1500 which I feel was a decent price. The lathe was listed as a 3520A and that's what it says on the headstock but on the rear of the bed the silver tag with the serial number says 3520B. Is it possible I have a "frankenlathe"? I don't care if I do, it works fine as is but I would like to know what I have so if I want to buy a bed extension or other parts I want to know I 'm ordering the right stuff. Do the 3520A and 3520B have the same bed? Are their bed extensions interchangeable? I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
The main components of the lathes are the same. Differences: on the A, minimum speed is almost 0, low range from 0 to 1500 rpm, and 0 to 3,000 on the high range, compared to 50 to 1200, and 50 to 3200 on the B. The tailstock on the B has a lid over the hollow part, and the top of the headstock is flat with a pad on it. The B also has an electronic read out for rpm. I liked the A better because of the lower speed range, which is necessary for sanding out my warped bowls. There were minor changes in the banjo as well. The 3520 is probably the most popular 'big' lathe out there.

robo hippy
robo hippy said:

The main components of the lathes are the same. Differences: on the A, minimum speed is almost 0, low range from 0 to 1500 rpm, and 0 to 3,000 on the high range, compared to 50 to 1200, and 50 to 3200 on the B. The tailstock on the B has a lid over the hollow part, and the top of the headstock is flat with a pad on it. The B also has an electronic read out for rpm. I liked the A better because of the lower speed range, which is necessary for sanding out my warped bowls. There were minor changes in the banjo as well. The 3520 is probably the most popular 'big' lathe out there.

robo hippy

What Robo said. I am so glad I have my 3520b and it allowed me to keep turning.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I do appreciate the responses so far but they don't actually answer my question. If anybody else can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
At some point the thickness of the bed way's were increased. My <2 yr. old 3520b measures 0.557". I believe there was a different p/n for the previous extension, maybe to accommodate the increased thickness. I don't know if the extension mounting hole pattern was ever changed. Are your legs drilled and threaded for mounting the extension in the lower position? Is the 3 hole mounting pattern the same on the legs as the end of the bed?
John

I am not sure but thinking they might not. It would be best to call them to find out.

http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/company/contact-us/

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Joe, good info. I'll have to measure the thickness of the bed and report back. What has me scratching my head is the fact that the headstock says 3520A and the bed says 3520B

Thanks,
John

I recall seeing adds selling freight damaged 3520's in the past. You might check the headstock casting between the headstock clamping shaft and bottom surface that contacts the bed. This area of the casting was reinforced sometime in the past, due to cracks developing. If your lathe had sustained previous damage that required the bed to be replaced, I would take a close look at that area.

Joe
John,

My understanding is that the 3520B headstock has the RPM indicator on the operator side, the 3520A and the 3520 do not.

Also, as others mentioned the bed changed between the A and the B models and the current bed extensions are not compatible with the earlier beds.

One of our local turners has been looking for the 18" (16"??) bed extension for a 3520A for years now without success.

Ivan
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Hey Joe, I measured and my bed thickness is right around 0.56"- 0.57", so right around the thickness of your 3520B.

I also checked the headstock from all directions and could find no signs of a repair.

Thanks for the info.

John