Template for Drilling Cabinet Shelf Pins
What is everyone using? Will Peg Board work for occasional use?
yep, pegboard works for me!

unless, of course, you're looking for a reason to buy a template!

if that's the case, i think i'd go with rockler.
Pegboard and a Vix bit. I used masking tape to cover the holes I didn't want drilled, and I highly recommend that.

With a Vix bit the pegboard template will last a long time.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks to both of you! Just what I needed!
I use the Kreg shelf pin hole drilling jig. I get perfect results every time.
Nothing but hand made templets.
Miss the centers on one set of holes and I'm out a day.
Pat Warner
I made a dedicated template for book cases. It took about 5 minutes to cut it to exact size (no transferring location) and about 5 minutes to tape off the holes I did not want to drill.

With the Vix bits it was very fast to use after that (but I had to buy a special Vix bit from Amazon.com). The template will last almost indefinitely with a Vix bit. But will wear quickly with a regular bit. I think that the Vix bit will result in a more accurate drilling pattern, and will prevent drilling too deep.

The commercially available templates look great and work great but I don't think that they are any better than the vix/pegboard combo for most work.
MT Stringer said:

I use the Kreg shelf pin hole drilling jig. I get perfect results every time.

+1 - works well
Over the years I've tried several ways of drilling shelf pin holes.

I finally settled on the router method. I use a dewalt 611 router with the plunge base and a home made template.

The template 1/2'' thick with 1/2 in diameter holes drilled how/where ever I want them. The router base get a 1/2 bushing.

This is pretty fast and make the cleanest chip free hole of any other way I've done them. Even in Melamine, no chipping just clean holes.

Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
No chipping with the Vix bit either.