My idea for a shed base
xI bought a Lifetime 8x10 shed and need a base that will stay level. With the Lifetime sheds it is really important to be 100% level.

So let me know what you think of my idea please.
Start with a layer of matting to prevent weed growth. Build a 2x4 frame about 6" larger than the outside of the shed. Level it and fill in with gravel. Build shed base out of 4x4 and 2x4 (maybe 4x6 and 2x6?) and plywood decking. Anchor shed frame to ground. I feel like the gravel is needed to provide stability.

My ground is not perfectly level and i feel like just putting a wood frame on the ground will not provide long term levelness.

I think your best bet is to auger 12" holes below the frost line and install 6x6 posts seated ON (not in) concrete footers with some gravel packed around the posts, then build your level on those. That's what I did anyway. I have a 14'wide by 12' deep shed. I put posts at each corner and one in the middle of each 14' stretch. The shed remains solid and level for 5 years now.

As for the gravel, I don't think they are needed for stability, but I wish I had did that to keep vermin out from under the shed. I still could do that if I take up some floor boards.

As for the weed barrier - not necessary. Weeds won't grow under the shed anyway.
keep in mind that untreated wood in contact with the ground will rot pretty quickly. Pressure Treated wood will last a lot longer, and there's various levels of PT wood. There is PT lumber which is intended and "rated" for ground contact, and that wood will last a lot longer than the treated wood you get in the Home center. You'll probably have to go to an real lumber yeard to find it though.
Very true. Fortunately, my local box store had the right stuff.
Ray
Yea no doubt the concrete is the best but i dont want to go so permanant. Im thinking the gravel will keep varmin out and most of all be a really solid base material as well as keep the wood from sitting on ground.

My instinct is to buy the treated material and let it dry in my shop for a while to see if it warps..then s4s it.

I just want to make sure whatever i do stays flat and level otherwise i heard you can have problems with the Lifetime sheds joints not lining up.

Jeremy s said:

xI bought a Lifetime 8x10 shed and need a base that will stay level. With the Lifetime sheds it is really important to be 100% level.

So let me know what you think of my idea please.
Start with a layer of matting to prevent weed growth. Build a 2x4 frame about 6" larger than the outside of the shed. Level it and fill in with gravel. Build shed base out of 4x4 and 2x4 (maybe 4x6 and 2x6?) and plywood decking. Anchor shed frame to ground. I feel like the gravel is needed to provide stability.

My ground is not perfectly level and i feel like just putting a wood frame on the ground will not provide long term levelness.

Level is not that important. What is important is that the bottom lie in a plane - be flat not twisted or warped.

You put it all together level. If it becomes twisted or warped, you shim it up. I don't know what you are keeping inside or what it weighs, but I don't think much support is needed. Your gravel should be ok. I expect the gravel will sink into the soil over time.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
I used a gravel that is made specifically for foundations. I then used concrete blocks, using asphalt shingles between the blocks to shim to level, then built the base frame on that. Yard slops down, but the shed has remained level.