Chuck thread size?
Does anyone know what the size and thread pitch on a Nova chuck is without a spindle adapter? Just the chuck alone.
It's either 1 X 8 or Check here for more info.

Without knowing which model you have, it's pretty much a crap shoot.
Herb G said:

It's either 1 X 8 or Check here for more info.

Without knowing which model you have, it's pretty much a crap shoot.

Actually it's not. Nearly all Nova chucks require an added insert to fit whatever spindle a lathe has. For instance if you're using a supernova 2 on a lathe with 1 1/4 8 TPI you can use the same chuck on a different spindle size and TPI by changing the insert. What he is asking is what size are the O D threads on that insert, or the ID threads on the chuck. They will be consistent on all but the G3 I believe.
Steve K

I did hear one time but I have forgotten. I believe it was either 35M or 37M. It has to be large enough for their 30m interior and still have meat on the bone to thread the exterior of an insert.
I'm not sure you could measure an insert exterior and get an exact size if the tops of the threads are relieved any at all.
Why don't you call them and ask?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
NCPaladin said:

I did hear one time but I have forgotten. I believe it was either 35M or 37M. It has to be large enough for their 30m interior and still have meat on the bone to thread the exterior of an insert.
I'm not sure you could measure an insert exterior and get an exact size if the tops of the threads are relieved any at all.

I stuck a pair of calipers inside my supernova2 and it measured 35mm and change so I would guess it's 35mm but I don't know the TPI. I know the big oneway lathes are 33X3.5
Steve K

AHill said:

Why don't you call them and ask?

You're not from around here, are you? Hand tools, perhaps?
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I just now needed to know this information too and a Woodnet search popped up this old thread. With great hope, I scrolled down the thread and found not an answer but a reasonable way to find it, followed by a smart-aleck response. Ignoring the smart-aleck, I did call Teknatool and learned that the thread in the chuck is a 1-1/2" - 8 tpi. I thought I would update the thread in case somebody else needs the answer.
SceneryMaker,

I don't think my response was smart alecky. Seriously - the manufacturer has the technical information right at their hands and I'd trust an answer from them over a forum member.

BTW, it depends on the chuck. The OP never informed us which Nova Chuck he was referring to. G3? SuperNova2? Titan? It makes a difference. For example, a Nova G3 comes with a direct thread 1x8 and 3/4 x 16 versions, in addition to a version that requires an adapter. That's why it's advisable to call.

I'm assuming you are referring to a SN2 chuck. They make 3 direct thread versions:
4 Chuck (SNC4) : M33x3.5 RH
P Chuck (SNCP) : 1 1/2” BSW RH/LH Dual Threaded. Tanner Union Graduate Wackin Bursgreen
R Chuck (SNCR) : Blank. For threads up to 38mm

It took me less than 5 min to research this and it comes directly from their SN2 manual. Google is your friend.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I apologize. Your reasonable suggestion , that I took today, was to call Teknatool and ask them. The useless comment was mine.

They also said they do not make a 3/4 - 10 adapter for it so I'm looking.

Sorry for the confusion.