Chair Repair
Co worker had a few chairs that need re-gluing and one with a broken spindle. The glue jobs took about 15 minutes and were returned quickly.

The spindle job took a few more minutes. I had some rived oak from a windsor chair project so I chucked it up on a lathe and turned the center bead detail. The spindle was to whippy and vibrated too much to turn the rest of it, so a few minutes on the shave horse with a draw knife, spoke shave, and card scraper, I have a close replacement spindle. Not exact, but close enough. BTW, I am getting two chickens in trade for this work. Already have 2, but I can fit 2 more.

Now I will need to set up the steam box to get the spindle flexible enough where I can bend it into position since I cannot remove the bow.
Nice work so far. I look forward to the "after" picture.
Scoony said:

... BTW, I am getting two chickens in trade for this work.

Great job but the best part is the two chickens in payment. It just doesn't get anymore neander / old school than chickens as payment
Great repair job in process. Last time I fixed one of those, I drilled a deeper hole on top and made the top of the spindle a little short. Then I inserted the top into the deep hole and teased the bottom into place. Ten years later and it is still working.

Good luck on your repair.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I set up the steam box and after a while in the steam, the spindle bent right into place. Now I have to find a stain to match the chair.
Great work as always Scoony. I'd start with Minwax Early American and maybe add some Gunstock. Amber dye added to the shellac or lacquer may get you there as well. Shouldn't be too bad....

Hi Scoony,

Nice work! Another option on getting some flex into wood is to (carefully) use a heat gun. You need to watch the wood closely and move the gun as you can burn the wood, but you'll be amazed at how flexible the wood becomes. Just wanted to mention as I find that easier than going through the whole steam routine and it doesn't raise the grain either.

Take care,
Kevin
Now that's some craftsmanship! I know the skill required to get that level of duplication using a shavehorse. Very good job, Scoony. That glimpse of your shop punctuates your skill.
Thanks for posting!
Yes, I started with Early American. I had a can of Honey that I thought would work over it, but the pigments were dried up in the bottom of that can. I tested the Gunstock and it had too much reds. Going to get another can of Honey tomorrow and try that, then top coat with minwax quick dry poly to match the amber finish already on the chair.
Hey Scoony, Nice job on the chair! It looks like you have a pattern makers vice on the end of your bench, I was wondering if you could post some pictures of your bench, or if you have already, point me in the right direction (I looked thru all your old posts and didn't come up with anything). I'm starting to plan my second bench and am considering incorporating my clone into the bench like you have.

Thanks
Tom.