15-16" planer fixed or moving table?
I noticed Grizzly doesn't sell their 15" planer (GO 550) with the motor mounted on top, and a fixed table. (A knock off of the Rockwell/Delta RC-33)
They do make it and sell in their Steelex and Shop Fox line.
The Grizzly GO 453 15" planer has the motor below, and a movable table.

Is one preferred over the other?
I like the idea of a fixed table. But I also like the idea of rollers on top to slide lumber back for a second cut.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Don't know which is preferred but mine is with the motor below and movable table, had it for 20 some years without any problems.
Pirate said:

I like the idea of a fixed table. But I also like the idea of rollers on top to slide lumber back for a second cut.

Seems like a minor point, but I don't know what I would do if I couldn't throw the pieces back on top after each pass. Also, my planer sits right behind my jointer, so the lumber gets thrown on top of it as soon as it's flattened, ready for the next step. fixed tables would be nice to set up infeed/outfeed support, but that hasn't been a deal breaker for me. Another minor point: with the motor on top, it's a little more difficult to get to the head for knife replacement or sharpening. It boils down to: go with your heart!
Bob
I've currently got a Delta DC-380 which as you refer to as movable motor.

But I have had a number of the more modern "movable table" from Griz, Jet, PM over the years, and in terms of maintenance and day in and out use I would give the nod to the moving table variety. Most of the moving motor are 1 1/2 to 2 Hp, where the moving table are 3 Hp, but on the same 20 amp 220 line. I would think from Griz's point of view that having just the one configuration decreases their costs on repair, and maintenance as even though some are bigger, all of their 4 post models are coming off the same basic plan now.

Griz planer lineup
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I bought the Delta DC380 because I thought having a fixed table was more important. Using infeed/outfeed tables, you're not always adjusting them to the table height as you would be with a moving table. In the 15 years or so that I've had the planer, I've used infeed outfeed tables maybe 10 times....so much for my theory . But truthfully I see those rollers on top about as useful as a fixed table, I've never missed them. In any case, I'd bet the movable table is a little easier to raise and lower, and if you have knives the motor on top is a little in the way when you change (just a little, as the motor can be tilted slightly to change them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
For the first 15 years on the Rockwell/Invicta at home, I had kids offloading and placing the boards on the tablesaw to the side. Then, as the nest emptied, I had to rely on SWMBO, who, I discovered, is as capable as they. Can't see any advantage when planing multiple boards to a set of rollers.

Even when I had rollers available in the wood hobby shop, I found that co-pilots were trainable, and could place all to one side as each pass was made. EWOs took a bit less effort to educate. Couple of them I crewed with even took up woodworking as a hobby.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Mainly wondering why they changed the design. Maybe with a bigger (heavier) motor, the motor mount wasn't up to the extra weight.
Interesting that some brand 15 and 16" planers sold by companies the are owned by the Grizzly owner, still have the motor on top.
I just sold my Boice Crane planer with movable table, and bought a Rockwell RC-33 with a fixed table. With the BC I never used feed tables, unless planing 8/4 x 8 or larger and long.
Really doesn't make much difference to me.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
My guess would just be about the motor size differences then. It's possible there have been moving motor units with more than 2 Hp, I've just not seen them. Almost all of the moving table variety are 3 Hp or greater. You know in power tools Mo Power sells.

As far as feed tables go, wouldn't matter the configuration, or if a lunchie. I always want them on my planer, sometimes an adjustment head ache, but for work support, and snipe elimination they work for me.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Pirate said:

But I also like the idea of rollers on top to slide lumber back for a second cut.

I'm sure others have their own methods, but I use the rollers every time. They're convenient when making multiple passes.