It's always something, Caddyshack edition
the dogs are drving me nuts digging up the yard because we have critters. It appears that the critters have invaded the drain lines from the gutters, because the dogs have destroyed one of the drain pipes going into the ground and they are working on 2 of the remaining 3. It appears to be voles, but I suppose it could be chipmonks. I would really just like to get the critters away from the house. Any ideas?
If your dogs are terriers, you're fighting hundreds of years of breeding for them to hunt critters. And some non-terrier breeds will also dig for critters.

I can only suggest you try to stop access to the system-----I believe they sell screens that sit over the holes in gutter downspouts to keep out leaves (and maybe critters as well).
Dave
Agreed, screens in the gutters and at the daylight end of the drains. Might want to flush them with a hose first to make sure anybody in there has a chance to leave.

John
I was thinking about up-armoring the drain pipes, so I'll have to look at that.

I also have some critters that just have holes out in the middle of the yard. Not sure how to get rid of them. I've been trying just filling their holes to convince them to surface elsewhere, but so far it's a losing battle
EricU said:

I was thinking about up-armoring the drain pipes, so I'll have to look at that.

I also have some critters that just have holes out in the middle of the yard. Not sure how to get rid of them. I've been trying just filling their holes to convince them to surface elsewhere, but so far it's a losing battle

Spectracide granules spread on the lawn will kill the grubs the voles or moles feed on. They will leave your lawn for better pastures.I have to do this about every two or three years.

mike
EricU said:

Could be skunks. https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures...ih=1018#imgrc=_
mike4244 said:

Spectracide granules spread on the lawn will kill the grubs the voles or moles feed on. They will leave your lawn for better pastures.I have to do this about every two or three years.

mike

voles are vegetarians so that doesn't help. (nothing does from what I can tell)
fortunately, the holes aren't that big, although the dogs try their best. The holes are a little over an inch in diameter. I keep trying to convince the dogs that they are just as likely to dig to the center of the earth, but then again they keep catching the critters, I've seen them catch 3 at least.

What happened was that when we had the deck put in, the builder didn't put gravel under all of it. It was a bit of a strained relationship by that time because they had to hand dig through 6" of slate to do the job and weren't really prepared for that. So I didn't push them on the gravel. We recently had some landscaping done, and I paid to have the rest of the gravel put down. I'm pretty sure at that point the critters moved out into the yard. I keep hoping the dogs will scare them away, but they seem to be holding their ground.

I know that voles are really common in this area. I suppose they could be moles, dunno.
It sounds stupid, but try dropping a half stick of juicy fruit gum in the holes when you see them.

Yeah, yeah, I thought the same thing, but our vole problem disappeared in a short time after we started this practice. No kidding. Don't know why. Maybe they are attracted to the smell and eat the gum and they can't digest it or something. I know it worked for us.

You have nothing to lose but the price of a large pack of juicy fruit. I bought the green pack, but not sure the flavor matters. (I just prefer that ... )
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
BrokenOlMarine said:

It sounds stupid, but try dropping a half stick of juicy fruit gum in the holes when you see them.

Yeah, yeah, I thought the same thing, but our vole problem disappeared in a short time after we started this practice. No kidding. Don't know why. Maybe they are attracted to the smell and eat the gum and they can't digest it or something. I know it worked for us.

You have nothing to lose but the price of a large pack of juicy fruit. I bought the green pack, but not sure the flavor matters. (I just prefer that ... )

The only thing that seems weird is just how you originally came up with that idea. Was it one of those; "Hey, I bet juicy fruit will fix that- Buurrpp"!