Rusty Chisels
Last year, as a novice woodworker, I wanted to get a few good chisels. Narex gets good reviews, so that's what I got. Most of this summer has been spent on carpentry, so the shop chisels remained in the drawer. Today, as I pulled them out, I was surprised to find them pocked with rust areas, including the finely honed edge.
Was I supposed to know to oil them before putting them in the drawer? (Lots of high humidity in northern Illinois.). How do you store your chisels?
--Peter
I don't know if everyone has a woobie, but they are a venerable old shop rag semi soaked in whatever oil you embrace for hand tools. I like Camellia oil. I store my better tools (those I fret over if they rust) inside slightly oiled tube socks I buy on the cheap at flea markets for pennies a pair. I also keep those better tools inside a wooden tool chest. I check them twice a year and give them a light rub to re-oil them, and back they go. I also rub them well after use, and return them immediately to their sock. I am in SW Ohio, and we have wicked fluctuating humidity levels here throughout the year, sometimes into the high 90% range.

The only ones where I couldn't keep the rust off were the LN socket chisels, but I don't have any of them anymore. Not sure why, others don't seem to have a problem with them, but I sure did. For reference I have a few Blue Spruce, and LV PM-V11 chisels, and by far they are almost rust proof. YMMV
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I'm pretty much the opposite (though both approaches work). I leave them out in their wall racks and let them breath. I suppose however that the main benefit to this is that you see them from time to time and know what's going on, so you can tend to them while problem is small.

Ditto on the oily rag (with sensible precautions to prevent spontaneous combustion). Wiping dust and fingerprints off of them is a must!
The drawer tends to collect humidity and thus things stored inside drawers in a humid area are more likely to rust. As the others have suggested, either store them in a rack that breathes, and/or wipe with a light coat of camellia oil, mutton tallow, or whatever after use and before storing.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I made the same mistake, starting out.

Lee Valley sells little "emitters" in plastic cases that I keep in the drawer with my chisels, and other metal tools.

The rust isn't fatal, it's just tedious to remove.

I keep a spray bottle of Camellia oil, although Paraffin oil will work,
for storage purposes. One thing to watch for - if you're in a humid shop, metal contact with plywood can cause spot rust.

Dunno why, but it does in my shop anyway.

I use plastic saw teeth covers now.
I put a coat of Johnson's paste wax on all of mine and keep them in a rack.

carl
At work we get electronic equipment packed with 1/2 kg sized silica gel dessicant packs to keep out moisture, I've collected a few and put them in the drawers of my tool cabinet, they work well.

You can economically make your own desiccant packs out of florist dessicant, see here:

http://rumkin.com/reference/desiccant/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Along with the oiling and woobie mentioned already, I keep cups of kitty litter in with my tools. Seems to help.
Kitty litter works just as well as the fancy stuff. I put butter tubs of it in tool storage cabinets.
If anyone is interested, and wants to keep their tools in a box, tool tote, etc. (something with a lid on it) look online for a product called, VOC paper. VOC stands for "volatile corrosion inhibitor". The sheets will emit a gas that helps prevent oxidation. VOC also comes in bags (like freezer bags). So you can store your tools in a box with a sheet of VOC paper in there or put them in a VOC bag. I'm not sure how long they will last though.

Carl