Why would someone modify a tool in this way?
I saw this in a LV newsletter and thought it would serve as a catalyst for discussion.

So let's hear some theories as to the rationale behind this modification.

I would bet they were pulling it towards them for some reason.
pat
Looks like an iron sole retrofit, simple as that.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

For me, that answer doesn't adequately explain the truncated "cow-catcher" front end.
Joe Bailey said:

[blockquote]Admiral said:

For me, that answer doesn't adequately explain the truncated "cow-catcher" front end.

[/blockquote]

It seems it would elongate the plane a tad and give an extended hand holding position.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Joe Bailey said:

[blockquote]Admiral said:

[/blockquote]

Are their more pictures?

Is it really a iron sole retrofit or a device that could be attached to a wall to simply hold the plane for storage. That was my first thought.

If a iron retrofit, I actually like the design. Almost like trying to make a woody act more like an infil.
Scoony said:

Are their more pictures?

Go HERE
Pat

That is how I started with hand planes by by pulling them toward me while I was in the wheel chair and personally I see no benefit the way this is done.

I did learn some very important things when Tom was at my house, but nothing to do with this.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have pretty big hands and if I were to use a seven-inch plane for some serious planing, and if I were used to a coffin plane where my left palm was pushing down on the toe of the plane, I would hook my thumb around the knob and I could rest the heel of my palm on that prow comfortably.

Just an idea...
Thanks, it has been a while since I have checked out their news letter