Grizzly & Shop Fox
Many people seem to dismiss Griz' and SF as being the same tool because they're from the same manufacturer. For a couple of reasons, I wouldn't be so fast to say that SF was just a different color.

First, I bought a 6" SF spiral head jointer and while I didn't compare it side-by-side to a Griz', it was very easy to tell the at least visual differences. For one thing, the SF had a more flared out lower cabinet---noticeable in that the top of the cabinet projected out past the cast iron top---so you had a convenient place to hold your push sticks/pads.

Second---just read Wood Magazine's (Sept) review of 17" bandsaws. They reviewed several brands, including two versions of Grizzly and the Shop Fox. What I found very interesting even though they gave top ratings to both Griz's, they complained about the tool's vibration. But interestingly enough----the said that SF was vibration free---which can be better balance or beefier cabinet design.

While it's just two examples---just saying I think you get a bit better tool with SF----at least should be considered as something more than just a different color than Grizzly.
Dave
vibration on one or two machines could just be manufacturing variances...and the next SF machine could vibrate.

Or it could indeed mean the SF is a better balanced machine.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Dave,
I would trust your observation more than a magazine review. One that really stands out in my mind is reading a review of table saws that complained about a Craftsman motor and praised Steel City. They were the same part number.

I have a Grizzly Model: G0604ZX 6" parallelogram, with spiral head. I wonder how the guts compare. What model is yours.

See ya later,
Bill
Bill I've got a GO 490X 8" shellix Parallelogram

A member here Eric "foolcontrol" has the Shop Fox W1741 S

I have used both a number of times, and outside of paint, and several hundred dollars I'm gonna call them identical tools. I think differences you appear to see in text are just some of Shiraz Balolia's artful marketing

A case in point in the SF ad it talks about the spiral head cutters, being high grade made in Germany. Sheesh everybody knows the spiral head cutters on those cheap Grizzly's are made in Chiner The Griz ad simply says "Cutterhead: Spiral with 40 indexable carbide inserts"
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
PapaGriz, Shiraz Balolia, said they are the same. He owns both and Woodstock too. Nuff said for me.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Steve N said:

Bill I've got a GO 490X 8" shellix Parallelogram

A member here Eric "foolcontrol" has the Shop Fox W1741 S

I have used both a number of times, and outside of paint, and several hundred dollars I'm gonna call them identical tools. I think differences you appear to see in text are just some of Shiraz Balolia's artful marketing

A case in point in the SF ad it talks about the spiral head cutters, being high grade made in Germany. Sheesh everybody knows the spiral head cutters on those cheap Grizzly's are made in Chiner The Griz ad simply says "Cutterhead: Spiral with 40 indexable carbide inserts"

This is the same experience I have had between the two brands, so much so that when one one or the other needed parts I would lookk up the part for which ever one had the part in stock.

Usually neither did so I ordered two and canceled the one that did not show up first.

and the assertion that the spiral heads are special on one over the other is garbage too. I have worked on both , no difference

and just to point one other thing: WTH would ever have cause to replace something as easily made as a base Whatever is done there is just gilding the lily to give it a wow

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Bill de---if you check the link web page

you will note a very different cabinet design. I would ask you how the cabinet parts are assembled on yours. I was very impressed by my SF which used machine screws and threaded inserts instead of sheet metal screws. I consider that a step above sheet metal screws, where the holes can elongate over the years.

As to magazine tests----I'll make the same argument I always make----I'm not about to listen to those who have only owned one or two brands of tools compared to the magazines which test many tools.

As to Wood Magazine----I've always found you learn more by reading the article than by just looked at what tool they picked. In this case, they gave the top tool and best buy to Griz', yet if you looked on the chart of grading the various test, Griz' got four top ratings, while SF got five.

I don't think we can really have much of an argument since people with both brands in their shops would be few and far between, and there has never been an open display of these tools unless you go to one of the Griz' locations and even then, don't know if they have SF on site.

I'm only saying----if you have a little extra money it would be worth it to consider getting a Shop Fox. And checking current prices on this tool----on Amazon, the SF is only about $15 more than the Griz'.
Dave
Dave,
I was surprised when I first got the Grizzly with the machine screw/threaded inserts for the cabinet doors. The cabinet itself is all welded steel. As it turned out, a friend of mine bought the SteelCity version which was identical to mine except he didn't get the spiral head. The other difference was that his came undamaged in a plywood crate and mine came damaged in cardboard.

I still have my Grizzly, but Sandy swallowed his. He replaced it with the Grizzly.
See ya later,
Bill
Bill---I had mine delivered in the middle of a rain storm, and the cardboard box was already starting to fall off-----I unpacked it quickly to be sure to dry off the cast iron and unpainted surfaces.

Yes, the machine screws are a real class act. I have what are classic Delta and Jet tools and all the cabinets use sheet metal screws and even with just a few times to change a belt etc. the holes started getting bigger.

As to the band saw---I'd be curious to hear first-hand from SF owners as to vibration. I once took a band saw class where they used the Jet 17" steel cabinet----the noise from the vibration was as bad as the blade. If SF indeed has cured it's vibration, that would be a plus IMHO.
Dave
Dave

My Grizzly G0636x vibrates a lot and I am thinking SF granite surfaces really nice.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.