polishing granite
I wasn't sure where to post this. If the moderators prefer they can move it to another forum.

I am making a coffee brewing stand. I originally planned on cutting a polished granite floor tile and gluing it to the bottom surface. It would add stabilizing weight and would make an easily cleaned surface. But most of all it would look really nice.

I cut the granite to size, but the edges are exposed and I wanted to dress them. I tried using my stationary belt sander but the granite was way too hard for the sanding belt.

I finally went with a marble base, which was easy to edge dress with the belt sander, but the colors are not as appealing as the granite which is available in black and dark green.

I considered soapstone but it is much much more expensive and if I go into production the cost would be prohibitive.

Any suggestions on how to dress the edges on the granite tiles?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
SiC sandpaper (wet/dry) might do it. Diamond impregnated plates will for sure. Or take it to a granite fabricator and have them do it.

John
I have this set of polishing pads for my oscillating saw/sander. I have used it to polish edges of cut porcelain tiles. It would probably work on granite as well.
I looked at the diamond polishing discs just now.

I think I will stick with marble. What's the darkest color I can expect to find in polished marble? Mostly all I see are white and light tan. A dark mottled tan or brown would work. But I'm not seeing any.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Not sure about dressing the edges, but if you use marble, make sure you seal it. One spill and it'll be stained - maybe permanently.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

Not sure about dressing the edges, but if you use marble, make sure you seal it. One spill and it'll be stained - maybe permanently.

Not true... Certain things may stain certain marbles rather quickly, but it's not really that delicate. I install a lot of different marbles in the kitchens and baths I build. I even did a honed Carrera counter on my kitchen island and that takes a lot of abuse.

I use the diamond pads on my grinder for polishing marble and granite. You could find a $30 set on Amazon... When I just have a couple edges to polish, I just use the pads in my hand over a bucket of water. Keep it really wet, rub fast, work your way through the different grits.
-who?