cleaning latex primer brush
I've always hated cleaning (synthetic) paint brushes. I don't want to ruin them so it's dish soap and a stiff plastic brush. Today I combed the thick stuff out and then soaked it in straight Krud Kutter for around 25 minutes. Had to brush just barely but it almost just rinsed off! Used it over and over too. I'm always the last one to figure this stuff out. All I need is two brushes, one to paint with while the other one soaks. If I'm not the only one who didn't know give this a try
Thanks for the hint. I'll have to give that a try. We finally caught on that good quality brushes are important, and anything I can do to make them last longer will be a good thing.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I'm a bit of a nut about cleaning brushes, but I also have brushes that are 15 years old and look and work like new. In the middle of painting right now with one, its like an old friend. I have several rules (which drive my brother crazy, he is of the camp that you buy cheap brushes and throw them away). As mentioned, buy the best brush you can find, stainless steel ferrules are preferred, Purdy is good, BM has a premium brush line that is good too. Second, keep the packaging sleeve and store the brushes in them after use. Third, when you start, soak the brush in the solvent of the finish you are applying, it helps with paint not getting stuck up in the bristles near the ferrule. Fourth, when the brush is starting to look like it is getting crusty, pause in your job and clean the brush - you get a better finish and stop buildup in the brush that you have to clean out later. Finally, when done, thoroughly clean the brush with the solvent (latex, use warm water and soap), taking the time to get all the paint off of the bristles, I use a plastic pot scrubber, flatten the bristles in the sink and scrape until gone.

When interior painting with rollers, which I am in the middle of right now, I also clean the rollers, you can get at least 4 uses out of them before the nap wears out, but that involves soaking, washing with soap, etc. If I'm putting on two coats in one day, wrapping the roller in a plastic grocery bag between coats keeps the roller from drying out and its ready for immediate use. This tool, for removing water, helps and I use it in a 5 gallon bucket to catch the water:

you put the roller on the end and pump the handle and it spins; this can also be used with brushes.

Sorry for the long post, its just that I got a "thing" about keeping brushes clean.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks Admiral. All good tips that I will try. Anything that is quick. Bending over the sink hurts my back way more than the painting does. And the water usage (California).
Admiral said:

This tool, for removing water, helps and I use it in a 5 gallon bucket to catch the water:

you put the roller on the end and pump the handle and it spins; this can also be used with brushes.

Sorry for the long post, its just that I got a "thing" about keeping brushes clean.

I also use the roller spinner. It's the only way to clean a roller. I paint the whole inside of a small house a room at a time, with the same roller.
Surprised someone doesn't make one for a cordless drill!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
My time is much more valuable than a brush or roller. I should throw them out as soon as I am done.

But I do keep brushes for several days if a job takes that long.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
I'm with Rich on this. Best brushes and clean them like its a religion.
I use a comb and brush then spin em.
Heck brushes don't get good till they are about 5 years old or older!
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
Lacquer Thinner when they get real clogged.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I'm the cheap bristle brush bandit.
When I use one, I wash it out some and keep it wet until I'm done with the project which may take several coats, then it moves on to using it to brush metal or wood chips away from the drill press or mill or metal lathe, or perhaps to clean car parts with mineral spirits, even use it on a cheap project where oil based paint is used or use it to detail wash an engine, where I then toss it out if need be.
I get a lot of use out of them for $1.20.
Roller covers aren't worth the effort. I add $10 to the job and toss them when finished. To keep them wet during the job, I either wrap them in plastic or if using 5 gal pails, I will leave them in the paint.

Twinn
Will post for food.