Another Rocking Chair Repair
This one I need to completely disassemble, refinish & put back together.
http://s254.photobucket.com/user/woodcam...%20Repairs

Hopefully folks can open the album. This chair is well over 100 years old and has been repaired at least 2 times.

The seat shows a repair in the middle where a filler board was added with T&G but the glue gave out.

Someone attempted to nail some of the joints.

My main concern right now is how do I loosen joints that are securely glued? Mainly rungs.
Jim
Couldn't open the photos, it says the album is private. If it was repaired in the past with hide glue, just coat the joint liberally with hot water, wiggle, add more hot water and it should come free. When you go to put it back together, use hide glue for the next guy that has to repair it. If the earlier repairs used a different glue, hot water should still loosen most glues, other than epoxies and the newer Titebond glues.
[blockquote]barryvabeach said:

Couldn't open the photos, it says the album is private.

Sorry. Now it's public.
Jim
Have you determined the glue type?

Apply some hot hide glue to one of the exposed joints and see if
it melts the layer beneath. If it's modern PVA glues, try an electric blanket and soft mallet to persuade the joints apart.

I'm looking at the basic construction of this chair - does it have sentimental value?
Try a heat gun - that will loosen both hide and PVA glues. Just don't over heat as to burn the wood.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Anji12305 said:

Have you determined the glue type?
From what I've seen it appears to be mostly hide glue but not all.

I'm looking at the basic construction of this chair - does it have sentimental value?

It belonged to my BIL's GM and my niece will take ownership when I'm done.
Jim
John Mihich said:

Try a heat gun - that will loosen both hide and PVA glues. Just don't over heat as to burn the wood.

That is my plan.

Any particular finish remover to use? I won't re cleaning off the back rest though.
Jim