What I learned from TablesawTom when he was here
Just before the wood meeting thing in Kansas City.

I just could not figure out why I could not get the shaving right without it either gouging or taking to big of shavings.

I shown Tom what I was doing (I adjusted the blade 1/32" from the chip breaker and I was adjusting the whole thing up and down to get the shavings right.

He told me how the thickness of the mouth determined the thickness of the shavings. He also shown me my error and how to adjust the mouth with the screw in front of the tote.

I felt so stupid since I am pretty sure I heard of this before and forgot all about it.

I guess now I have to reteach everyone about using planes.

Such easy things to know and do and so easy to forget.

I am hoping this will help others that are learning now and in the future.

So maybe if I did not write everything down here and maybe about using other hand planes here it can be used for the future too.

I hope you guys have a lot to add to help others in the future and maybe too.

Also Thank you Tom

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It's great to get personal instruction from very knowledgeable folks. I do understand how a tight mouth can aid in tearout, but I've never equated that to thickness of the shavings.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I could be incorrect on how he said it so I hope he chimes in.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.