Air compressor auto drain
I've recently upgraded to a 60 gal air compressor and want to install an auto drain on it. I know some folks here have used the Harbor Freight one with good luck, but current reviews on the site are less positive. What models are you using and would recommend? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I haven't found a reliable one. The hf one is pretty much the same as most everyone sells and it's ok but not reliable in the long rum imo. I just open the ball valve on the drain every so often.
I just picked one up from the auction site. Haven't installed it yet but looks like it should do the job for now.

Doug
As an alternative, consider a manual air brake receiver drain with lanyard. In all the years and all the trucks I've been around, I've never seen one fail. And they ride out in the crap, usually buried somewhere you can't see. The lanyard is looped to some fixing point so it's easy to reach, like under a step, and you just give a two-fingered tug on it to drain the water, which is all you want it for anyway.

manual drain valve with lanyard linka-dinka-doo
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have the HF auto drain and it's working well after two years. My compressor runs up to 150 psi so the plastic tube that comes stock would not work and it is generally suggested to upgrade the fittings and tube no matter what the working pressure of your compressor. I used copper tubing and compression fittings with a slight modification to the auto drain. You will need to tap the auto drain with a NPT tap in order to upgrade the stock fitting which is of unknown (at least to me) threads.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the auto drain is working.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Last shop I worked they used this style on all of their compressors. ingersall]http://www.zoro.com/ingersoll-rand-auto-...aw.ds]ingersall rand auto drain[/url]
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
I too recently got a 60 gallon compressor, and I too looked at the auto drain, and I too found reviews a bit scary, so I looked at alternatives. The problem as I saw it for the need of an auto drain, was accessibility to the current drain stunk. Bad enough getting down on your knees, but having to crawl around with yer hand all up under something you don't want tipping over on you..........Well you can relate.

I brought the drain out where getting to it was a flick of my toe with a ball valve, extended out from the current draincock, and supported with some 2x pine material in PT so I didn't need to worry about it breaking off.

I don't have pics of mine, but I got the idea from the web, and there are plenty of pages about this alternative.

I did the install, and after felt it was a bit flexible, so I took a piece of 2x6 PT pine, and using the bit below, cut a groove on the router table, and the board is just the right height to support the pipe.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I went with the extension that HD sells.

linky

pricey for what it is, but it works well.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Steve N said:

I'd do something like this. Not only is it much easier to access, and more reliable than anything automatic, it also provides a bit of a reservoir for moisture to collect that's NOT the tank itself. Could save some rust.
Benny

My thoughts too
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW