Shopsmith Mark V
My neighbour just bought a Shopsmith. She came over today to see if I could get the arbour off so she could change the blade, couldn't move it. I don't know if it is a left or right hand thread. Maybe a little heat to loosen it up? Any ideas would be appreciated. Here is a pic.

Is heat not advisable?

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
consider the arbor to be attached so put a holding wrench on the side facing up in your pic and take the arbor wrench and pull it toward the point of the teeth to loosen just like any other saw left or right tilt works
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe
Tried that held the small nut in my vise and used the big wrench, even with w pipe on the wrench it would not budge.

Mel
Turn it over and put some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil in the threads and under the nut.

Let it sit for a day.

Put it back in your vice as you have it now.

Apply a load with a wrench to unscrew.

With the wrench loaded up, hit the top of the shaft with a crisp, ringing blow.

The vibration should vibrate things loose.

If there is another person handy, have them hold the load on the wrench and a sheet of metal flat on the top of the spindle. Hitting the sheet of metal will reduce swaging of the shaft hole.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Ok, was just down in the shop again and tried a pipe wrench, no luck, don't have a piece of pipe big enough to fit over the handle of the pipe wrench. So sprayed it good and will try again tomorrow. Thanks guys for the info.

Mel
Honestly, you probably want a different arbor. IIRC, the shopsmith branded blades have a 1" or 7/8" or other goofy arbor for a 10" blade.

You can get a standard 5/8" arbor pretty cheap on eBay.
Thanks, I will past that on to her.

Mel
This may sound stupid, but I noticed that there is an allen head screw that could be engaging threads in the arbor and has it all locked up. Loosen the allen screw and see what happens. It is surprising how well those little screws work DAMHIKT.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
The set screw is tightened on a flat spot on the arbour. Thanks anyway.

Mel
MattRadtke - FYI - The Shopsmith blades use a 1-1/4" arbor, not 7/8" or 1". I bought my SS new in 1980 and have never had a problem loosening the arbor. I will suggest that Chips Ahoy ask his question on the SS Forum page. Another owner may have had the same problem and can help.
Brian
Shop power by Powermatic, Shopsmith, Delta & Bosch.