Show me your...
This is what I did to secure the Rockler MDF DP table I described a couple pages back to the OEM table my press. I used part of an oak baluster and a couple other pieces of oak I had lying around. The 5/16-18 machine screws are anchored into the MDF with threaded inserts.

It's designed for easy removal, but I rarely have need to remove it.

It may seem like overkill, but the OEM table tilts, and I didn't want the auxiliary table sliding off and landing on my toes one day.

Thanks, gents. That helps.
Semper fi,
Brad

bennybmn said:

Just move the table around a smidge to get a fresh spot.

Don't move the table- the rack is a pain to adjust. Instead, replace the set screw(s) that locks headstock with a 'T' or star knob so you can rotate the headstock. win, win.

Alan in little Washington said:

Don't move the table- the rack is a pain to adjust.

I suppose if you always drill parts of roughly the same thickness, never drilling into assemblies, you might not need to move the table much. The way I use mine, swivelling the table sideways a bit seems like less bother than trying to get a good enough grip on a circular object set into a hole to turn it. If I couldn't easily reach the lock lever, my opinion might change.

The easiest way to attach a wood table to the cast iron one is by drilling and tapping the iron, then using machine screws. It's solid, cheap, and quick, both to do in the first place, and to take on and off later if you want to do that.

If someone is worried about weight or height, an approach would be to remove the cast iron table entirely, and make something of wood to fit the table mount. This might be a good approach if you switch your press between wood and metal work regularly.
®smpr_fi_mac® said:

How about the rest? How do you secure the auxiliary table to the OEM one? My DP is a 1941 17" Delta.

I did mine a bit differently - and probably a bit overkill...

As you can see in the pic, the new table rests on the existing table in an inset area I made with the router. The new table fits rather well so it will always be installed in the same position. I used a couple T-style studded knobs threaded into t-nuts installed on the new table (before the laminate was applied...) to hold it in place...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Bump for retention.
Big Grin
Just a curiosity question: doesn't the new platform keep the threads, well, forever (or until the zombie apocalypse)?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.