When you guys restore old iron...
How do you repaint them? Spray? Brush? Dip?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Spray. Rattle can for me.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
Where do you find the original colors for the old machines?
Herb, if you haven't already done so, check out Vintage Machinery and Old Woodworking Machinery . They have a ton of information about restoring old iron and are very helpful.
Hank Knight in SC said:

Herb, if you haven't already done so, check out Vintage Machinery and Old Woodworking Machinery . They have a ton of information about restoring old iron and are very helpful.

+1 you can learn a lot there and get answers. As for painting I use rattle can for the convenience. There are guys who get a great finish brushing. I'm not one of them. Spray cans definitely have their downside and I think ideally an HVLP gun would give the best finish. What machine are you working on?

Doug
Rattle can and I pick whatever color strikes me. I don't necessarily try to match original.
Shop Dad said:

What machine are you working on?

Doug

An old Craftsman table saw. From the early 1970's.
Kinda rusty. Not much use on it though. Maybe 10 hours, if that.
stav said:

Rattle can and I pick whatever color strikes me. I don't necessarily try to match original.

+1
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
CARYinWA said:

[blockquote]stav said:

+1

[/blockquote]
+2. Sometimes I'll take a sample/part from the machine that has original color and look for something close. More often, though, I just look for a color that I like and that has some old-style tone.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
For smaller projects, a rattle can. Larger machines I've used an HVLP gun on, that gave pretty nice results. I don't care much for the new rustoleum cans with the round pattern spray nozzle. You really need a fan shaped pattern for good coverage.