Garage door replacement options
"Funny you mention making it two doors instead of one big one..."

I thought that wide doors are susceptible to wind damage. I see what you mean about width-my GMC truck just makes it in. Our Ford Fusion has no issues. On all of that I am not an expert.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
Robert Adams said:

Funny you mention making it two doors instead of one big one... Our garage has two 7'6" tall by 9' wide doors. I hate it. One door is barely wide enough to get a car through. I'm seriously thinking about taking it all out putting a new beam across and going with one door. Might even drop the opening to the standard 7' but not sure how to make up the gap above and have it look right (brick house).

My garage door is 18' wide, like many of the older (2010) homes in the neighborhood. You can see the sag in the header on every one of them. New builder is using two doors on nearly all of what he's putting up now. Not sure if that means anything or not, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one bothered by the little sag...
KC said:

[blockquote]Robert Adams said:

Funny you mention making it two doors instead of one big one... Our garage has two 7'6" tall by 9' wide doors. I hate it. One door is barely wide enough to get a car through. I'm seriously thinking about taking it all out putting a new beam across and going with one door. Might even drop the opening to the standard 7' but not sure how to make up the gap above and have it look right (brick house).

My garage door is 18' wide, like many of the older (2010) homes in the neighborhood. You can see the sag in the header on every one of them. New builder is using two doors on nearly all of what he's putting up now. Not sure if that means anything or not, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one bothered by the little sag...

[/blockquote]

That's a result of poor framing. Splitting it up into two doors and its a matter of time before you knock off a mirror.
Robert Adams said:

...That's a result of poor framing...

Of course. And it's very, very common here. Don't know that I've ever seen one that doesn't have sag visible from street. I notice stuff like that.
We built hundreds of house with no sag in the garage door header. If they are made correctly they should not sag.
KC said:

Of course. And it's very, very common here. Don't know that I've ever seen one that doesn't have sag visible from street. I notice stuff like that.

IIRC, this isn't the only thing subpar about your home?
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

[blockquote]KC said:

IIRC, this isn't the only thing subpar about your home?

[/blockquote]

It's not just mine, and not just my neighborhood. All over the place here. Maybe Daddo can chime in... he sees a lot of houses. Bear in mind I'm not talking about a 6" sag or anything... but enough to be noticeable if you're looking for it.

And yeah, they could have had some better trades folks working on mine. And the ones they're still building.
The problem is they are just buying 20' 2x10s maybe 2x12s if you are lucky and nailing two together and expecting it not to sag. Gotta use a pair of lvls there but few residential builders here even know what an lvl is and if they do they don't want to spend the extra on it because the house will pass the 5 foot or 5 second warranty without it.

I'll still never understand why it takes residential builders so long to build a house. Can build a fast food restaraunt in 6 weeks why not a simple house?