Some Basic Picture Frame Questions
This weekend I turned on the table saw for the first time all year.

I picked up four photos, 14 x 11 each, already matted with foam backing. I started to make pretty basic frames from 3/4 walnut, they'll end up about 17 x 14.

For the picture glass -- I see places selling 1/8" thick or 2 mm. Is thicker necessarily better? Does it matter?

If the thickness of the mat/photo/foam is a little less than 1/4, and I use a 1/8 piece of glass, do I make my rabbit about 1/2" deep?

Simple framers points to hold everything in the frame?

Do people like use a keyhole bit to cut a slot for hanging? Or just buy tack-on hangers?

Thanks in advance.

I may be mistaken but single pane is 1/16" thick Thats what i use.
1/16" thick glass is fine(window pane).

I use picture framing wire and tiny eye screws. I predrill the holes with a brad (cut off head first) chucked in a drill.

That way I do not have to hammer on the hangers. That also means I do not have to exactly center a hole---making the picture difficult to hang plumb.

Screw in the eye screws cut a wire about 2" longer that the span, thread the wire into the eyes and wrap the ends around the wire.

Hobby stores have eye screws and wire---the wire is sized by the weight it can handle.

I have a framer point tool, but would rather use screw mounted turn buttons.
David, I go with regular glass, IIRC 1/16, don't know why you would want to go thicker. I have made them like conventional frames, with a turn button to hold in place, but most recently I made a number of frames with the rabbit deep enough for the glass, the mat and the backing, then another 3/8 inch, and then cut strips that are just over 1/4" wide by the same thickness, put everything in the frame, then the strips, and use a 23 gauge micro pinner to pin the strips in place. Since there is no glue, it is reversible, and it goes much quicker than other methods.
When the need arises, I order "picture frame glass". I believe it's about 1/16".

The rabbet depth should be deep enough that everything sitting in it is below the top edge. Glass, mat, picture, backing and whatever you use to secure it in place.

I use keyhole slots on my frames because I like that the frames sit completely against the wall when hanging - a much cleaner look. It also allows for infinite adjustments to keep it level, whereas some of the hangers are notched - making adjustments almost impossible.

Two pennies worth...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Take a look at this type stuff at a local framing place before you decide. Expensive, but, in my opinion, worth the difference.
http://www.plaskolite.com/Options/Perfor...Anti-Glare

I like tack-on hangers, or eyes and wire, and secure with brads. Don't forget to seal the back to keep dust from getting in.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Depending on location of the picture, you might consider ordering 'non-glare' glass. For the small additional cost I use it on all pictures. It makes a big difference on the appearance of the picture as well as being able to see it in any light/glare conditions.

Gator
Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

gator said:

Depending on location of the picture, you might consider ordering 'non-glare' glass. For the small additional cost I use it on all pictures. It makes a big difference on the appearance of the picture as well as being able to see it in any light/glare conditions.

Gator

+1. It makes a big difference. Note also someone's earlier coment about sealing the back with tape. Dust always seems to get in otherwise.
Cheers

Chataigner in PĂ©rigord-Limousin National Park
www.rue-darnet.fr
I glue brown paper (grocery bag) around the back of the frame, moisten it lightly and dry with a hair dryer. the paper stretches tight and keeps out dust and looks almost professional.

gator