Steam Bending
I am planning on building a stem Bending device
I am going to use a 4' PVC pipe , 10 feet long with Cap on both ends. One will be screw type.
I am not sure how I will get steam inside. Any ideas on devices to make stream?

I will be using this to bend thin strips.
You can get hoses and connectors at the big box stores. Make sure the hose can handle the heat.

If you get the thinner PVC pipe, it will soften and deform, I know this from experience. I build a 6" x 6" x 5' long box out of cheap pine. I am using a camp stove with a metal can for water, but Earlex makes a nice steamer that works great.
Pressure cooker with a 1/8 or 1/4" pipe thread adapter to copper tubing,tea kettle, Shark steamer etc.Take your choice.
The Shark will steam up quickly,less than 5 minutes with a full tank of water. If I recall the steam lasts 35 minutes at full blast.

mike
Wagner wall steamer, easy to store, quick to be making steam, bought mine on local craigslist for $25.
Here's info on a steam box developed by Mike Dunbar for making Windsor chairs. As stated above, use schedule 80 PVC or your box will soon resemble a pretzel.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-705-12.../204171773 this works great. only thing better if you can find one used. make sure you add some supports along the pvc because if only supported at the ends the darn thing will bend like rubber once you get it hot. drill a small hole and hang a can to collect water from the steam. I just drilled a hole the size of my steamer hose and duct taped it in place. the set up looks like something from Hicksville but works really good. the wall paper steamer was worth every penny for ease of use and auto shut off if you forget. sure easier then trying kettles, teapots, and hotplates or other methods.
Jack01 said:

I will be using this to bend thin strips.

If you are bending thin strips, you can do it with a heat gun. It is the heat, not the moisture that allows the wood to bend. Steam is just the carrier of heat, it is used to heat the wood without burning it.

I build kayak coamings and I have found that I can take a cheap Harbor Freight heat gun, heat the thin strip and bend it around the form just fine. Then I don't have to mess with a steamer and it works just fine. Plus if the stirp cools I can just heat it back up on the form.

Luthiers will use what they call a Hot Pipe to heat really thin wood strips to bend them into shape.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

How long should a 1.5" chair leg need to heat to be pliable enough to bend a 10-15 degrees in the middle?

Duke
General rule of thumb is an hour per inch of thickness. A square might be a bit less 'cause the heat is touching all sides, not like a plank. But a lot depends on how green the wood is, is it air dried or kiln dried. I usually soak wood I'm going to bend to put moisture back into it.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Rockler and Lee Valley both sell a pretty good steam generator.

I have the Rockler unit. In fact, I created the demo video on their product page. Works well, quickly runs my 8" by 8" by 50" box up to 212 degrees and lasts about an hour between fill ups. My box is square plywood rather than the impermeable PVC you want to use.

I'm no sure screw-on end is best, you want to be able to take a part out of the chamber and close it back up quickly to keep other steaming, but you also have VERY little time to get your part bent. A hinged door is faster.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.