Vacuum Source for Chuck - Pump or Generator
I'm a pretty new turner. I bought a Hold Fast system and have used it a few times without any issues (I have a 60 gal. IR compressor). I have a tool purchasing problem and saw a used Oneway system listed here that was local and bought it. This system uses a Gast pump.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the generator -vs- pump?

Thanks,

Mike
I used to remember but do not anymore. I am sure others will know tho.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I don't like the generator as it has to run a compressor, which means added noise and I suspect (never done the numbers) that a generator takes more power, for the same vacuum, then a vacuum pump does
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
n7bsn said:

I don't like the generator as it has to run a compressor, which means added noise and I suspect (never done the numbers) that a generator takes more power, for the same vacuum, then a vacuum pump does

I was surprised how quiet the HoldFast generator is. I forgot to put it in my original post but is it a concern that if you loose power you will loose vacuum with the vacuum punp whereas the vacuum generator will still function? Plus just looking at the two systems the vacuum pump system look much more robust but I could be wrong.

Mike
Mike I have and use the holdfast no problems the gast pump systems often are set up with a tank and a shut off which could be engaged and hold vacuum should you loose power they often reach stronger vacuum with out the cycling of a compressor my smaller 25 gallon cycles pretty often to keep up.
When I use my Holdfast system, it is for finishing up light cuts or sanding the last bit. there for it's on the lathe for very a short time and my 60 gal compressor only runs once or not at all . I think it has plenty of hold power and it is very convenient to use and store away. I also have a pump that I use for veneering. I think they work best that way.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Tim J. Chase said:

Mike I have and use the holdfast no problems the gast pump systems often are set up with a tank and a shut off which could be engaged and hold vacuum should you loose power they often reach stronger vacuum with out the cycling of a compressor my smaller 25 gallon cycles pretty often to keep up.

Ahhh - maybe compressor noise (not vacuum generator noise) is the issue people talk about.

I have finished only a couple bowls using the Hold Fast and they were on the smaller side so my compressor never kicked on. If it did that would be annoying.

Thanks
I think it would depend on the compressor you have. I have a pancake compressor and it's as annoying as H-E-double-toothpicks. However, I'm restoring an older two stage 80 gal compressor which, I believe, will be much less of an issue with the Holdfast I use. The pump makes some noise as well, which may be more than a good compressor.

Doug
Woodshop said:

When I use my Holdfast system, it is for finishing up light cuts or sanding the last bit. there for it's on the lathe for very a short time and my 60 gal compressor only runs once or not at all . I think it has plenty of hold power and it is very convenient to use and store away. I also have a pump that I use for veneering. I think they work best that way.

While I use mine the same way, I do have to note that one of the "Pro's" I know now does things sightly different.
He roughs it round and gets the foot to finish, then puts it on his vacuum and finish turns the inside and out.
Then it's done.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
I would much prefer a vac. pump like the Gast, Robinaire etc...You don't need a large capacity pump for that purpose and they are usually available at pawn shops or on Craig's list pretty cheaply. Test it for leakage before paying for it from a Craig's seller.....

Harbor Freight Vac pumps aren't too bad for occasional use. I have a Gast which I use for a wood stabilization process I do once in awhile.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset