Modifying an Entertainment Center
I built this about 10 years ago. Obviously it's restrictive as to the size of TV, but it's also overpowering in the room. Anyway, I'd like to cut off the top, from the height of the shelf the TV is sitting on now---I could re-use a very nice solid-oak top. Just looking for ideas because as they say, once I bring out the saw, I only have one shot at it.

" />

" />

Thanks in advance.
Dave
The rail is higher than the top of the shelf. I think you would cut at the top of the rail.
To get it right, build a jig which wraps both sides and the back so you have a guide which is the same on all 3 faces and doesn't have to be moved while cutting.
You're also probably going to have to create a new fake cap if the center stile was M&T.
You're 100% right about only having one shot with the saw!

Gary G's suggestion is a good idea. When I did something similar for my SIL and her husband I made three jigs but did not connect them. I just measured very carefully to make sure I was cutting on the proper side of the line and not into something I wanted to keep. I then made everyone involved verify that I had set the jig up right because I almost cut on the wrong side once.

My original plan was to make small boxes of plywood and lay the entertainment center face down on them. I wanted to make them tall enough that my circular saw would fit underneath at the start of the cut . I didn't have enough plywood so I ended making several "T" instead. I laid on the floor so I could see the "T" so I had two points of contact with each T on the entertainment center. I hope that makes sense, if not, I'll take a picture of the "T" and post it later for you (if I figure that part out again).

I cut one side and then used that cut to as the starting point for the back, cut the back, and then used that as the starting point for the third side. You will need several clamps and I would suggest a couple of friends to help make sure that EC doesn't move too much on you when you make the third cut.

Hope this helps. I could go into more detail but this would turn into a novel. I'll try to clarify if what I said doesn't make sense.

And if I figure out my issues with posting pictures, I'll post a 'before' and 'after' of what I did.

Think I figured out the pictures...sorry that they are so big.

Turned into

Thanks all for the ideas. They will help.
Dave
Some nice wood and work in that Dave. I would cut it even higher so that you can create a cubby slot for a DVD player, etc. You could cut down the upper panels and reuse the top rails, too. No new wood required. Then add the top of course.

John
Need to add a couple of things I did...I used blue tape to help avoid splintering since I was dealing with plywood plus it was a lot easier to see a pencil line with it. (I know that's not the case with what you have.) I ended up not measuring - I used a Lee Valley saddle square butted up the top/bottom for the sides for my initial mark. I then extended the line with a framing square. I think I extended the line on to the back but don't remember 100% if I did that or not. I cut the two sides and then did the back by connecting the two cuts.

Good luck, that's a really nice looking entertainment center.