can someone recommend a plan
I have some reclaimed wormy chestnut that I got quite a few years ago. I've been trying to figure out something to make from it and i think I've settled on a toolchest. I'm think something along the lines of Gerstner style chest or a Stanley 801. Shopnotes had a plan for the Stanley a while back. My biggest challenge is that the lumber is about 5/8ths thick. Most of the plans I see online call for thicker wood. so anyway your suggestions are much appreciated.
thanks
Pat
Hi Pat!
It so happens I have rebuilt about 8 or 9 Gerstner chests for nephews of mine; I enjoyed them most when I had to fabricate new pieces for them. They typically have their solid-lumber pieces about 7/16" to 1/2" thick. And they also usually have a 1/4"-thick plywood rear veneered panel, along with about a 1/2"-thick plywood veneered lid-top. With all this, they still are noticeably heavy pieces, so I don't think lumber thicker than 5/8" would really be needed or even desirable.

I haven't gone out for from-scratch plans, but there might be some on www.machinistchest.com to look at.

Good luck!

Chris
Chris
C. in Indy said:

Hi Pat!
It so happens I have rebuilt about 8 or 9 Gerstner chests for nephews of mine; I enjoyed them most when I had to fabricate new pieces for them. They typically have their solid-lumber pieces about 7/16" to 1/2" thick. And they also usually have a 1/4"-thick plywood rear veneered panel, along with about a 1/2"-thick plywood veneered lid-top. With all this, they still are noticeably heavy pieces, so I don't think lumber thicker than 5/8" would really be needed or even desirable.

I haven't gone out for from-scratch plans, but there might be some on www.machinistchest.com to look at.

Good luck!

Chris

Thanks, Chris!!! that looks like just the ticket.
Pat
thanks again, Chris. As it turns out they don't appear to just supply plans. They have some expensive hardware kits that include plans and I might go that route, but I'd like to find just plans first if I can.
pat
the Veritas plan looks promising. I called and it uses 1/2 inch thick lumber. John Hetzel's plan looks good, too, but I don't know how think the lumber is. It says it is staying true to old time construction so I think it would be good. Has anyone made a machinist style chest and can you recommend these or any other plan?
thanks
Pat
Woodsmith did an issue with a chest/toolbox I'll find the issue this evening, if some one else doesn't turn it up first. I might have other options in my files also.
Jim

Found it; Woodsmith vol 31 No 183. Looks a lot like my Union chest. I can post photos later if necessary.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
You're not just the boatman, you da man. I have that issue of woodsmith and must have missed that plan when i went through them last night. looks good
thanks
pat
You're welcome Pat, glad I could help.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.