When to cut that tree down
when you want the bark to stay on afterwards. I want to make some natural edged bowls with bark, but when is the best time to cut the tree down to have the bark adhere?

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
Rick

If you want the bark to adhere to the wood then you have to wait until October or November when the sap goes back down into the roots or when the leaves are off of the tree until March.

Some trees the bark is always hard to keep on so you might put what kind of tree it is.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
More important, since the cambium layer runs between the bark and sapwood, is to keep the pieces cold so that the bacteria that eat the only live cells - cambium - won't find ideal dining conditions. No problem for those of us in the north.

After turning, there won't be enough time in the warm air for the creatures of decay to chow down before the cambium is dry and unpalatable. Cut to ~3/8" or less.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I am glad you noticed that which I did not.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
First, I hope you didn't have any flood damage.

I am outside of Charlotte, NC and my trees are just starting to turn now. If you can I would wait until late Dec. or January to allow all the sap possible to recede.
It never freezes here. If you want to keep the bark on, I need to finish turn the piece within a week of cutting the tree down for most woods.
VH07V  
EightFingers said:

It never freezes here. If you want to keep the bark on, I need to finish turn the piece within a week of cutting the tree down for most woods.

but your not complaining right?
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I can wait until December, no problem. I am cutting down an oak so winter works better, I won't work up quite as much as a sweat.
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
For me, it seems that the best way to keep the bark on is to decide that I am going to take it all off. Of course, if I want to take it all off, then it seems impossible to remove.....

robo hippy
Woodshop said:

[blockquote]EightFingers said:

but your not complaining right?

[/blockquote]

Sounds more like a gloat.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member