12v vs 18v Impact drivers
Jonny Rocket said:

Anyway I know Bosch has newer versions out now and wondered if the 12v version is improved or if I should just get the 18v version. I should mention I'm rather vested in the 12v Bosch tools and I've got larger pneumatic impacts for the real work.

The only reason to have an 18 is to use it if you don't have a pneumatic or don't want to set up your compressor or drag it with you. They are great (as you know) for carpentry.

So do you need a more portable and powerful impact driver? If so, go with the 18. If not stick with the 12 volt system. I don't know about the Bosch 12 volt (I have Milwaukees) so can't tell you if an upgrade is worthwhile. Perhaps you can find one somewhere to test versus your 10.8.

I don't have a pneumatic impact so have both 12 and 18 volts drills and impact drivers. In both cases I chose the line I purchased for the additional tools available. (12 volt Milwaukee and 18 volt Makita.)
I have a Makita 12v drill and driver set and my 18 volt ones are seldom used in the shop (hobbyist) since i got them.
Firebee said:

I have a Makita 12v drill and driver set and my 18 volt ones are seldom used in the shop (hobbyist) since i got them.

Interesting. In my shop its the exact opposite. The 12v is okay for light duty, but for anything more than a 1" screw I grab the 18v Bosch.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Jonny Rocket said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

But don't expect any impact driver to be quiet. By their very design they are loud.

John

I don't expect it to be quiet, but I expect to not have to listen to it very long. My Bosch is just slow as anything and often times my drill/driver can sink the screw as far as the impact can and in about 1/3rd of the time.

[/blockquote]

Something sounds amiss with your impact driver. My 12V Hitachi impact driver can sink 3" screws in a wet oak log. No way the drill could do that. Not sure the 18V Milwaukee drill could manage it either. For comparison, the Milwaukee ID will sink that 3" screw in 1/4 the time of the Hitachi. If you want fast, get an 18V.

John

John
speed and runtime. my 18v runs circles around my 12v in the number of screws it will sink in a single charge.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

After using the Makita I consider anything under 1 1/2 light duty. Once again as a hobbyist. If I want to drive 20 Screws I use the 12 volt Makita . If 100 I may still be okay. Not tried it yet
I bought the 10.8 volt Makita system for my wife. Very handy and allows more control than my 18v Makita system. They now reside in my shop, OTOH the 10.8 is not going to drive 1/4" lag screws.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I've had the Ridgid 12 volt drill/impact combo for about a year now, and still would buy again.
Nice compact size. 2 ah battery and a 4 ah battery. I've driven 3/8" lags 4" long with no problem.
Lifetime replacement on batteries and everything else.
Buy at HD and try it out. I don't think you will return it.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Which model do you have? As you can see on the comparison chart RPM differs between them, and they have had a few generations of them as well, and that also has changes.

I think it also gets down to what exactly you want to do with them. I have both of the ones shown but in older generations of the tools, and I like the 1st gen model over the 2nd gen, but I really like the smaller PS20 best of all for shop work.. I also have their 18v, and it seems for me I use that when I need more power, speed and longer run time for bigger jobs.

I can't compare to anything except DeWalt 18v of old, and a really old Mikita, the Bosch's run rings around them. If there is a place that carries a lot of lines, and also has them set up to trial, complete with a pile of screws is about the only way to compare them. Unfortunately every area doesn't have a place like that. Big box may have the selection, but it's rare when they have working models available, or for use by potential buyers.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Love my milwaukee 12 volt Amazon is now selling generic high output batteries for the Milwaukee. One of the benefits of having a leading seller.