Is this second hand router any good?
Somebody near me has a 1617 EVS 2 hp Bosch router for sale, with both a fixed and plunge base included. Would this be a good router for occasional woodwork? I don't have one and don't have much experience with them. But I could use one now to install some vises and to cut some big mortises for my Nakashima-style coffee table.
I don't have one but that router is pretty well regarded AFAIK. The early ones had issues with magnesium housings corroding. Bosch fixed that - I think they replaced the magnesium parts with aluminum.
Very good start, used or new. No Fugazi, that Bosch.
Pat Warner
Yes, I have two of them.
cvillewood said:

Yes, I have two of them.

Ditto here

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I have one; very nice. They are about $200 new for the whole kit, so I wouldn't pay more than $100 - $125 for it.

John
+1 for the one I have.

Of course buying used, condition and price still need to be evaluated.
See ya later,
Bill
+1. Had it for ~10 years and love it. Very reliable, and powerful enough for my needs.
JoeLaf said:

+1. Had it for ~10 years and love it. Very reliable, and powerful enough for my needs.

This....
I have one that lives in my router table. One of the top routers IMO.