Why does my dust collector trip my remote?
I have a Delta 50-580 dust collector. It is rated at 1 1/2 HP.
The remote is the Woodcraft Remote Control Transmitter Switch that is rated for 1 1/2 HP. When I use the remote to start the DC it starts and then the remote's circuit breaker trips shutting down the DC. Without the remote, I can start the DC and run with no problem.

A little background. Replaced the capacitor on the DC a few years ago and it has been fine since.
I had the remote setup for a few years with another copy of the same remote. After a while it stopped working. Bought a used one here and it wouldn't work at all. Never figured out why and when I returned it to the seller, he didn't have any idea either.
Anyone have a clue why the new/used remote is tripping?
Either the dc is pulling too many amps or the breaker in the remote is tripping too easy. It's a 50 50 chance of either. Electronics like that are made as cheap as possible with barely spec components and usually poor quality components at that.
I think Robert nailed it. If I can find that post on making your own with a contactor and cheap lamp remote switch I'll come back and link it. I'm struggling with the search function (nothing new) at the moment.

Oops, found it. Check this out for a low cost, industrial grade DC switch.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks, guys.
I was wondering if my DC was pulling unusually high amperage for some reason. Hadn't considered the remote being too sensitive.
Fred, the DIY system looks very cool. Thanks for the link.
I was hopping that there was an easy fix for the system I already have and paid for. Any tips on how to identify the culprit?
Grizzly let me down, so I returned it and got a Long Ranger. Never failed to start my 1 1/2 hp Delta DC!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Problem Solved
Based on Robert's comment about the breaker on the remote tripping too easily, I replaced it with the one from an earlier non functioning one. DC starts and runs.
Thanks everyone.
Just to add a couple theories of my own.

I have said remote.

I have had it hooked to a shop vac and it works great.

I have had it hooked to my 1.5 hp Jet DC. It worked flawlessly the first time. Don't remember which extension cord or length it was on.

The second time I know I had it on a long extension cord. It did as you recalled.

Theories:

1) the extension cord was too long.

2) Much of The extension cord was still wound up

3) Need higher gauge extension cord

4) The remote doesn't like me
WoodTinker
ronkan said:

Problem Solved
Based on Robert's comment about the breaker on the remote tripping too easily, I replaced it with the one from an earlier non functioning one. DC starts and runs.
Thanks everyone.

Good to hear. I'll bet they use the same type that you see in powers strips and they are awful. I have tested some that pop at less than half their rating which isn't such a bad thing cause most power strips are iffy at best.