Where to find a bigger bandsaw motor?
I have a 1950s 14" Delta bandsaw with a riser block and a 3/4 hp motor. I guess it could use more power. But where can I get a bigger motor at a reasonable price? What should I look for? Any advice?
You can go to Grizzly

http://www.grizzly.com/search?sq=electrical+motors

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It might not be the best, but I put a Grizzly 1 HP on my Delta 14" (up from the 1/2HP it had). In a hobbyist's shop the import motors are quite serviceable and a lot cheaper. If you want to stick to the higher quality brands, E bay may have what you want.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Hard to say about Grizzly, but they have to be better than Harbor Freight.

You might want to check your local yellow pages----we used to have a place that sold and rebuilt electric motors.
Dave
You could also see if a local motor shop has any used motors for sale. If want a vintage Delta motor you could check E-Bay, OWWM, or Craiglist for a 1HP motor.
What motor do you have now? I think a new 1 HP motor might be a downgrade from an older 3/4 HP motor unless it's a Baldor. You can find them on the auction site or c-list. You could post a WTB here or on OWWM.org.

What are you doing that you need more power? Maybe a sharper blade or bigger saw would be better?

Doug
Shop Dad said:

What motor do you have now? I think a new 1 HP motor might be a downgrade from an older 3/4 HP motor unless it's a Baldor. You can find them on the auction site or c-list. You could post a WTB here or on OWWM.org.

What are you doing that you need more power? Maybe a sharper blade or bigger saw would be better?

Doug

Just as Doug said, if it is the original motor and still working OK, I think you will have to go to a horse and a half to get any improvement. Those old motors were better than most new ones of similar size. Ken
Motors aren't rated the same way they used to be. New motors can be rated with PEAK hp, instead of TRUE. Just more value engineering/sales BS.
Axl said:

Motors aren't rated the same way they used to be. New motors can be rated with PEAK hp, instead of TRUE. Just more value engineering/sales BS.

Err..I think that gives a misleading view of the world.

Stick with a NEMA rated motor - this is what you'll commonly encounter shopping for a standalone motor. NEMA has used a standardized system for 70-odd years.

Now if you go trying to wire up a motor stripped off an air-compressor, shopvac or some other parted-out tool, you might find that the motor isn't NEMA rated and then all bets are off.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I was in the same situation a while back. I happened to have an unused 1/2hp motor of the same rpm rating. So, I did this:

It works great. Depending on your situation, an arrangement like this may require you to upgrade your switch and/or circuit. But, you may need to do that with a single motor replacement also.