Where to find a bigger bandsaw motor?
Grizzly has very reliable motors bought two from them and never had a problem they are about 10 years old.
I'm a big fan of the Leeson farm duty motors from Northern Tool. They have ones that say they are specifically for woodworking too. I just match the motor to the tool with the mount, rpm, hp, amp, volts, output shaft, etc. so I don't really know what the difference is.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Axehandle said:

I'm a big fan of the Leeson farm duty motors from Northern Tool. They have ones that say they are specifically for woodworking too. I just match the motor to the tool with the mount, rpm, hp, amp, volts, output shaft, etc. so I don't really know what the difference is.

Got a one horse for my open stand Delta years back, and discovered another parameter of concern - which side the capacitor bump is on. Seems mine was on the right, when viewed from the rear of the motor, and perfectly positioned to jam the bottom door of the saw when I tried to open it.

Ended up removing the guts and reversing them inside the motor shell so I could use it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I put this $230 Ebay 2HP on my 28-280 Delta 14" when the original 1HP burned out. Definitely an import but well built. I really notice the difference with thick lumber. I would have loved a Baldor or Leeson but couldn't justify the $. This one works great so far (about 10 months). Company was legit to work with and motor is heavy, smooth, and well made.

BTW remember with stock bandsaw pulleys you need a 1750RPM. Table saw motors run about twice that and your tires will spin off and bind the wheel. Possibly bend the blade in the process. DAMHIK.
I’m of the opinion that large HP motors on bandsaws are really a way for us to compensate for running blades that are too dull, or feeding stock too fast.

I also have a vintage bandsaw, a Walker-Turner 16”. It has a 1/2 HP motor on it. I was able to make this resaw cut in a 9” wide piece of cherry. The main factors were that the blade was sharp, and I took my time making the cut.

Back in the day, bandsaws like your Delta and my Walker-Turner came with 1/3-1/2 HP motors. I’m relatively sure woodworkers from the 1940-50’s needed to make resaw cuts just like we do. If bigger motors really are necessary, why didn’t bandsaws back then come with 1 HP motors?

Here’s a quote from a 1946 manual for a 14” Delta bandsaw:

Quote:

For most work around the small shop or home workshop a good 1/3 HP motor will be found to furnish ample power for this machine. It is recommended that the No. 62-110 Capacitor Motor, or a motor of equivalent power, be used. For steady production work, using wide blades, or whenever the Height Attachment is used for cutting thick and heavy stock, a good 1/2 HP Repulsion-Induction Motor, like the no. 84-510, should be used. Only a constant speed motor should be selected.

Imagine that: a 1/2 HP motor is the upgrade.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog
Wilbur Pan said:

Imagine that: a 1/2 HP motor is the upgrade.

My '66 M/W saw has 1/2hp. Does just fine with a sharp blade.
Overland
If you haven't found a motor yet, feel free to shoot me a pm. I have two Dayton motors that should work for you. A 1hp at 1725 rpm and a 2hp at 3450 rpm. You will have to adjust pulley size to cut the speed in half on that one. They are used but both run strong. $100 each.
So what have you decided or done?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Wilbur Pan said:

Back in the day, bandsaws like your Delta and my Walker-Turner came with 1/3-1/2 HP motors. I’m relatively sure woodworkers from the 1940-50’s needed to make resaw cuts just like we do. If bigger motors really are necessary, why didn’t bandsaws back then come with 1 HP motors?

The answer to that question is because a bandsaw with a bigger motor didn't sell. The reason it didn't sell is because most homes and a lot of shops had a small service entrance, maybe 50 amps. There might be 4 knob and tube circuits in that same house.

When the internet was new I read about all the wonders of putting a bigger motor in a 14" Delta. Seemed the right thing to do so I pulled my 3/4 hp and put in a 1 1/2 hp. Added a riser block and bought a few other do-dads. In the end the saw was a bit better but not was I was expecting.

Later I bought a 20" Delta bandsaw with a 1 hp motor. That was a huge improvement.

The folks suggesting to put a HF or Grizzly motor in a made in the USA Delta....that just don't seem right.
Larry

Isaw said:

<snip>
When the internet was new I read about all the wonders of putting a bigger motor in a 14" Delta. Seemed the right thing to do so I pulled my 3/4 hp and put in a 1 1/2 hp. Added a riser block and bought a few other do-dads. In the end the saw was a bit better but not was I was expecting.

Later I bought a 20" Delta bandsaw with a 1 hp motor. That was a huge improvement.
<snip>

Well that anecdote just leaves us dangling.

What did the 1.5HP on the 14" Delta do for you and what did the 20" Delta - with the smaller motor - do better ?

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.