Cadet II Toilet Tank leaking
All,

I've got an American Standard Cadet III toilet in the downstairs bathroom that is leaking into the bowl. The tank will empty itself in about 8 hours if I turn the water off. The water is not leaking outside the toilet.

I've had this happen before, and typically just changed the flapper. I've put in generic ones and an actual American Standard flapper to no avail. I've cleaned off the rim of the drain with a green abrasive pad to make certain that there is no algae or anything.

Before I change out the whole drain assembly, any ideas?
chris
A crack in the refill/overflow tube?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I agree with Blackhat. I just installed one last weekend so I'm a little too familiar with the connecting parts.

The tank connection bolts and water supplu would all leak on the floor so if it is not the flapper it would have to be the tube. Mine came with the water level too high so it would slowly drip into the bowl from the top of the tube but adjusting the shut off lever fixed that.

The connection from the bowl to the base looks to be a big plastic nut/ring so it might be possible for a crack there to allow water to drain.

Looking at the diagram on the HD web site it looks like to replace the tube you'll have to replace the bowl to base connection so it looks like tear down time,

Dan
If it's a visible crack, it can be gooped over to stop the leak. Sometimes. Worth a shot.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

LOL. I went and cleaned everything again and it's no longer leaking.

Thanks for the input.
chris
Put a drop of two of food coloring in the tank to make sure it isn't leaking. At Christmas time one of the elf on the shelf tricks was to put red in the bowl, and green in the tank. It makes for a funny reaction when the flush it in the morning.