How to make a strong support enclosure?
Need to make a strong support enclosure for the top-opening chest fridge in the camper van. It could weigh nearly 100lb when full and sits behind the driver. I'd rather LOML not get conked on the head.

Fridge is 25.5" long, 14" wide and 20" tall. It will sit lengthwise along the wall, raised about 14" with probably two drawers underneath. The back end is the compressor, whose louvers are not supposed to be covered. However, the fridge has open handles screwed to the ends that are intended to also serve as tie-down points and I can also screw into where the feet mount, so tying to a platform should not be a problem.

The issue is making sure the platform doesn't go anywhere. There are two tie-downs on the floor that I can attach a base member to parallel to the wall, but I'm unsure the best way to get from that base member to the platform. I can run supports over to the wall, but cannot just screw to it--too many curves, and because of counter considerations, the fridge must sit out from the wall three inches.

Suggestions solicited, please.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
In this case a picture would really help.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Fridge in approximate x-y position. Final position will raise it almost to bottom of window. (outlets are temporary)

Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

Can you fur out behind the refrigerator to get something solid to attach to?

The other option might be to build a box around the refrigerator (with cutout for the compressor) and attach that to the platform. I'm assuming that you can firmly attach the platform to the van floor.
Mike

But not today...
"I'm assuming that you can firmly attach the platform to the van floor. "

That's the crux of my question. I can firmly attach a base to the floor, but that would be the base of the 14"-tall drawer assembly that the fridge will sit on. So the nitty-gritty is how to best build that drawer assembly.
Carolyn

Considering crash potential, I'd be using steel.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I think just a 3/4" plywood box with a robust face frame for the front would be plenty (except for the crash scenario). If secured to the floor I'd bet it would be more than robust enough. You might want to build the top with double thickness, but I doubt it's necessary. I would think in a crash, the goal would be to stop the frig from flying forward and maybe some kind of guard on the forward edge may be worth considering.

EDit, thinking out loud. Would it be possible to fasten a seat belt to the floor, and then just buckle it up around the top of the frig through the handles when in transit? Probably sounds nuts.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
+1 on steel. Find someone who can weld something for you. I know you would rather do it all. Steel would also take up less space.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
John Mihich said:

+1 on steel. Find someone who can weld something for you. I know you would rather do it all. Steel would also take up less space.

+1

And you could easily hide the steel frame behind wood. just draw up your dimensions and take it to a metal shop - easy peasy! And have them put holes where you want to bolt the wood to the frame.

Just my 2¢

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I like the seat belt idea, it's simple, available, and wouldn't be too clumsy to use.
Mike

But not today...