Shop Fox Band Saw - recommendations ?
I was looking at a few band saws recently and found a decent price on the 14" Shop Fox Band Saw (W1706). I like the features it has over my rickety 10" Delta (but that's not really saying much i guess lol). I especially like the ball bearing blade guide and quick tension release on this Shop Fox.

As for band saw needs I haven't had a whole lot, but then I don't look for projects to use mine a lot because of the lower quality it is and so it gets used when nothing else will work as well.

Anyone hear have experience with this Shop Fox band saw?
Would you recommend it?

Or is it worth the wait to save another $300-400 more for the next step up in band saw prices?

Thanks for your input.
Ray
it is a decent saw

that said I am not enamored with it I would say a comparable Grizz would be cheaper for the same quality

The quick release is not especially needed band saws are intended to be left under tension

JMO

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Bandsaw is my favorite power tool. So I am biased. I enjoy using mine as much as I can.
I guess it all depends on what you build.

As you tailor your current work around the lack of a good saw, then only you can decide what works best for you.

I think.

But IF I WERE YOU and I am not, I would buy the biggest saw I could fit / afford in my shop.

I agree with Joe, keep the blade taught.
And I think solid guides rule.

I have had my trials and errors in this area, so take my advice for what it is worth.
Ag
Thanks - the shop I found this Shop Fox at keeps the price lower on these to compete with Grizzly.

I like the quick release for the ease in blade changes that would mean.

I know guys that never release the tension between use, but I've also read numerous times/places that it's good to ease the tension when not in use.
I can imagine that the more often the band saw is used combined with the more often the tension is released and reapplied that this practice might actually increase the overall stress on the metal to the blade - being stretched, released, and stretches again - resulting in the blade snapping sooner than it might otherwise.

I do not use my band saw often and so I usually release its tension after use.
If/when I get a better band saw it will be used more often, but still won't get used that often. I can go long stretches between shop times (result of being a family man), so is still okay to leave a band saw under tension when not in used for long periods of time, say, a month between uses?
Ray
For about the same price (while they are currently on sale), you can get the Rikon 14" 10-325.

If you ever take up turning, that 13" height capability makes a world of difference in prepping bowl or hollow-form blanks.

I have been very happy with my Rikon.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I have not released the tension on my MM16 for over a year a it has set unused for at least two months when I am not resawing Same with my 14" Delta

I question the ability to just swap bands and use the tension lever as the final adjustment A band even 1/8" of band length

I know they are all supposed to be the same length In use however I notice differences in band lengths even among reputable suppliers
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks for the reply on the tension.

I am wondering about that quick release too, really.

At the Cincinnati Woodworking Club we once had a demo by a guy who makes band saw boxes ... for a living!
He used the quick release to change the blade during the demo and said that's what he always does. But my memory is likely rusty on that as he may still have did some adjustments with the tension along with that quick release.

Perhaps the quick release allows one to not have to release the tension as far with the tension adjustment when changing the blade? Use the quick release, then loosen the tension adjustment a little, install new blade, then quick release, then some more tension adjustment as needed?
Is that your experience?
Ray
Overthinking.
Some choose to release, others do not.
Either seems to work.....
Choose a camp and pitch your tent.
I choose tension, knowing that my saw and blade are adjusted and ready for work.
Ag
DogwoodTales said:

But my memory is likely rusty on that as he may still have did some adjustments with the tension along with that quick release.

Probably did,,, unless the 2 blades were EXACTLY the same length.
DogwoodTales said:

I don't look for projects to use mine a lot because of the lower quality it is and so it gets used when nothing else will work as well.

Most helpful would be info on what it is you do want to use a bandsaw for. If it is just to cut rounds, and all flat work I'd suggest looking at CL for an older Delta 14" or similar. Much lower $$$$ outlay, and would easily fit your needs.

If you want to resaw, I would suggest moving into a 17, to 20" frame with a 12" cut or bigger, and plenty of motor to push through some hard wood. You can resaw on a 14, but it is a slow process, and in the end you will be happier with a bigger machine. WoodCraft has the 18" Rikon on sale several times a year, otherwise I would go over to EB Mueller and look at what they have on hand Spending 2 hours there will save you weeks of running around. Then I would suggest seeing if any of what you like is on CL. Just insist they run it, and do anything you want it to do before buying.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW