Dovetail Blanket Chest Glue Up
I am getting ready to glue up a Blanket chest and am a bit nervous.

I bought a new fresh bottle of Titebond Extend Wood Glue which claims to have a slower speed of Set. Still nervous.

I am considering making and using some cawls(sp?) that will span over the pins the tails, or both. Should I make two sets and use them on the pins or tails, or do I need to make four sets and use them on all corners (pins and tails) both directions?

So the questions.

1. Cawls for pins, tails or both?
2. Any pointers on how to make the cawls? I was going to cut some dado's to create low spots that would span over the proud pins or tails.
3. Any other pointers?

I am considering having my neighbor come and handle gluing up on end while I work on the other, four hands is better than two.
If you are really concerned about the time it will take I would just do one end at a time leaving the other end dry. Glue end one assemble it clamp , wait for the glue to set ( about an hour) pop off the dry end repeat and you are done.

If your pins and tails are well fit the only cauls you need will be on the pins. Your dado solution is fine but there is a simpler solution: move cauls to the solid wood adjacent to the pins and clamp. It is not like the joint needs direct pressure after all it is self aligned.

Lastly get over the nervousness you need to have a plan in place and follow it. The work you have in this to this point is to get here do not let gluing drive you insane just do it

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

When I was glueing up may boys desk, I did a pratice putting it together 5-6 times, got it down to about 3-4 minutes, with titebond III, no problem, all through tennons, and panels.
I've done 3 chest so far and only used titebond III. I did have an extra hand for the glue up on every chest. I never used cauls but see where they could be useful.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I use soft pine with clear packing tape for cauls on the tails only. usually only keep the clamps on long enough to for the glue to start to set. Don't forget to check for square.

The soft pine will conform to the tails/pins.
More hands are better. When gluing up a chest a couple of months ago, I decided to hold a "glue-up" party inviting my great neighbors. Their requirement was to bring a 1 cup measuring cup for glue. We, 4 gals and 4 guys made quick work of it after I did a show and tell/ demonstration on how and where to spread the glue. One person per end. Once assembled and clamped up, I declared the sun over the yard arm and served Mimosa’s. It was a hoot.
sroxberg said:

1. Cawls for pins, tails or both?

Tails. Your pins and tails should be a bit proud to allow for planing flush.

Quote:

2. Any pointers on how to make the cawls? I was going to cut some dado's to create low spots that would span over the proud pins or tails.

I wouldn't go to that extent, a caul just behind the joint will be fine. Its 3/4 thick, right?

Quote:

3. Any other pointers?

Rehearse a dry glue up, maybe even twice.
Get the sequence of how you want to do it memorized.
Put glue one joint at a time. Don't try to get glue on everything before assembing.

Quote:

I am considering having my neighbor come and handle gluing up on end while I work on the other, four hands is better than two.

Personally I wouldn't do this unless they are ww'ers.
Thanks for all the help it is glued together and all is well. I do need to cleanup the pins and tails and then we'll see what if any patching I need to do. The pins are not all 100% tight, a few small gaps that I may or may not want to repair.
I wouldn't worry too much about gaps until you've planed things flush.

A little glue and sanding dust will fill most small gaps sufficiently to apply finish. Fine wedges cut from matching endgrain should be inserted only if the finish won't cover.

Don't be you're own critic. That will induce paralysis.

If your work is square, solid and functional you have achieved something that 95% of the people on the planet will never manage.

Perfection is the enemy of the enthusiast.
sroxberg said:

Thanks for all the help it is glued together and all is well. I do need to cleanup the pins and tails and then we'll see what if any patching I need to do. The pins are not all 100% tight, a few small gaps that I may or may not want to repair.

Small gaps can be repaired quite well with slivers of wood end grain facing out. Much better than sawdust and glue.