Grips
Hey, folks.

I haven't been in the shop for a while, but I slipped out yesterday to play around with some Waterfall Bubinga. A couple years ago, I bought a Smith & Wesson .38 special. It's a 1944 V-series and it came with plastic grips. I got the impression the grips probably weren't from 1944. So here's what I came up with:

I want to find a black bolt. I'm not thrilled with the silver, but that's what I had on hand. Finished with a couple coats of spray lacquer. I want to take it out for a spin before I put a real finish on it. I might want to carve it a little for better grip.

Chris
Chris

Less is more. Unless you're standing next to the one with more.
Then less just looks pathetic.

www.woodntreasures.com
They look great from here!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Nice!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
craftdiggity said:

Hey, folks.

I want to find a black bolt. I'm not thrilled with the silver, but that's what I had on hand. Finished with a couple coats of spray lacquer. I want to take it out for a spin before I put a real finish on it. I might want to carve it a little for better grip.

Chris

Very nice and gives a great appearance to a classic.

As for the bolt, is it just plated? If so, you could soak in vinegar overnight, wash off with water, buff the plating residue off with a wheeled buffer, then use several passes of gun blue on the bolt to get your desired look?

Just a thought...I've used gun blue to "refurbish" power tool components/bolts in place of the original phosphate/oil coating.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!