Deadfall stumps etc M.C.
Hello, it's been awhile since I've been around here. I was thinking about doing some projects that are basically finding old deadfall stump/root parts and then adding a table top on top.
Do you think that the moisture content of the dead stump would be low enough that once I cut it to set flat and cut the top flat, that it would remain movement free?

I've done gobs of woodworking, but only with kiln-dried stuff, never driftwood or deadfall.
It won't remain movement free if it is still at a high MC inside, which is likely. Bring it in the shop and let it sit for a year or so and then it might be stable enough to use.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
After allowing it to dry a long time.
Perhaps modify it to have three points of contact to the floor and the top.
It might not ever be truly level, but at least it will never wobble.
Ray
It would be possible to take Ray's thought but instead of connecting the base to the top directly, perhaps put some type of metal brace, or rods into the stump end, and balance the top on them, they could easily be M&T joined. If the stump went to *($@ it wouldn't necessarily mess up the top. I would think the biggest thing would be how would you clean all the "outdoors" off the stump end? Power washing would likely work, but also adding a lot of moisture.

Says the guy who likes dried wood
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The other concern would be cracking and splitting as it dries. I'd give them a good spell indoors before investing a lot of labour.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Deadfall stumps in CO might be pretty dry after a long, hot Summer if they are several years old. A moisture meter is your best friend in assessing if that's true. Cut the trunk end off smooth and check the MC across the end. Go from there.

John
Another thought would be to hollow it out to make the walls thinner and able to dry sooner. Not sure if that would help minimize checking or not.
I was assuming that a stump would only be large enough for a coffee table or end table and envisioned a floating top like tempered glass.
Ray