Spoon Carving Knives - Feedback requested
Hello all,
I just posted a WTB in the S&S, but I thought I would post here for additional information. Do you guys have a source that you like for a few spoon carving knives? I'd love to get something quick and cheap, but I've heard some poor reviews of the Mora knives like the 164. Anyone have any recommendations>
Pinewood Forge. Del Stubbs makes really great forged knives. IMO, worth the extra cost over the Frost (Swedish from Mora) knives. I have a couple of PF hook knives for carving the bowls for spoons. Blue Spruce has also started to make the Sloyd Knives. I have no doubt they are very good. Kind of pricey at $85, but they incorporate a coating on the blade to mitigate corrosion. I personally haven't seen or used a BS knife.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
My hollowing knife comes from North Bay Forge. I couldn't be any happier.
I have knives from Del at Pinewood Forge and Jim at North Bay. Totally different animals. I'm partial to the North Bay stuff, but use a Hans Karlsson spoon gouge for the bowls. But, I got to see some of the Nic Westerman knives at Lie-Nielsen and they are definitely in a different class. But the price is in a different class as well.

Steve
colibas said:

My hollowing knife comes from North Bay Forge. I couldn't be any happier.

Guy has what I would call a really confusing website, in that you have to go find anything after a too feeble front page. However if you you do pick an item on the front page it takes you to where you should actually start. Then it will show you the actual list along the left hand side of the page. Under Spoon carving "new" a person could start there, and pretty much make a spoon or 3 under the teaching of a few gents.

I just hope no one misses this trove of knowledge just because the guy can't design a decent web page. Maybe he thinks life should be a treasure hunt
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

Guy has what I would call a really confusing website, in that you have to go find anything after a too feeble front page. However if you you do pick an item on the front page it takes you to where you should actually start. Then it will show you the actual list along the left hand side of the page. Under Spoon carving "new" a person could start there, and pretty much make a spoon or 3 under the teaching of a few gents.

If anyone hasn't watch the video on the North Bay Forge site of that little kid making spoons, you should. It's pretty inspiring.

The Pinewood Forge site (which may be more confusing than the North Bay Forge one) may be the best spoon carving resource around.

Steve
The red-handled Mora is a good deal.

Here's my take on it.

But in brief, if you don't mind re-establishing the bevel and turning it into a single-bevel tool (not difficult), then it's a great knife for the price. If you're just starting out and don't want to drop a bunch of cash into a hobby that you're not yet sure about, this is the knife to get.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Couldn't really say. I've been using the cheap Mora dual sharp curved ones for a number of years. Maybe 2000 spoons worth. I use them as scorps, to smooth the bowls after hollowing with gouges.

That's the 162 and 163. Mine say Frosts, but it's the same.

My Sloyds are the laminated by the same maker.
Mora is a city in Sweden. It's kind of like saying Sheffield or Solingen. Frost is the manufacturer.

MichaelMouse said:

Couldn't really say. I've been using the cheap Mora dual sharp curved ones for a number of years. Maybe 2000 spoons worth. I use them as scorps, to smooth the bowls after hollowing with gouges.

That's the 162 and 163. Mine say Frosts, but it's the same.

My Sloyds are the laminated by the same maker.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Yup, though in this case I believe they changed the brand name, at least in advertising.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.