help me understand more about this block plane
This essentially a Stanley 65 block plane but it does not say No. 65 on it like others I've seen. It has a B casting and a patent date behind the frog that says 8-3-97. The knobs are brass which is unusual to my eye. Most curious is the rear frog adjustment knob. Inside it says Bailey Patent Aug. 31, 1858, Aug. 6, 1867. I've never seen brass on these nor a knob like this. I can't find a type study so if you know of one let me know. I've used it for years and never checked it out, just put a new blade and lever cap on it and it worked like a charm.

thanks
pat " />
" />
" />
I have a Millers Falls #57 (stamped body) that looks something like a 57/36 mongrel. It actually works better than I can imagine a true 57 would.... May have been intended as a play on words too...

I am thinking repairs included what worked. Or, they knew how to improve the originals.
My guess is that it's an early 65 that had the adjustment knob broken, so somebody took the adjuster off a standard bench plane and made it work. A lot of work with a file gave it the shape it has now.
SteveF said:

My guess is that it's an early 65 that had the adjustment knob broken, so somebody took the adjuster off a standard bench plane and made it work. A lot of work with a file gave it the shape it has now.

I didn't see that at first but now that you point it out, I'll think you nailed it
thanks
pat