Drum Sander Abrasive
Recently I posted about purchasing a delta 26" dual drum sander. It takes a 5-1/8" wide roll, which doesn't seem to be common width and right now I'm waiting to hear back from Klingspor, to see if they can get that for me. Any other brands to look at? If you have a dual drum sander what do you keep for grits on it? I was thinking of sticking with 80 on the first drum and maybe 150 on the 2nd drum. Do any of you change grits often, on the second drum or do you just finish sand with an orbital after?

While typing this out Klingspor called me back and I can get it from 60-180grit. I had them quote me 80 and 150grits in both 10m and 25m rolls. Looks like each grit was within a buck or two of each other and I can get 4 change outs with the 10m roll for ~$40 and 10 change outs with the 25m roll for ~$90. 25m seems to be the way to go, just want to check with you guys on the grits.

Thanks,
Bob
buy 3" or 6" paper and cut your own.

it is not hard and once you have the first one cut you have a template for all the rest.

as for grit>: I buy 100 120 150 and 180

mostly use 100 front and 150 back

Where I buy my paper Industral Abrasives

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I use 6" cut several at a time.

Mostly use 100/150 or 80/100.

I also use Industrial Abrasives.
Like mentioned already... I also buy some paper from supergrit.com

Was thinking about that sander your bought earlier and wondered how it was going.
Klingspore seems to cut better and clog/burn less than others I have tried.

John
We are in the process of hiring a couple new operators, at work and I have been working solid covering the open spots left by a couple guys stepping up, so I have really only had enough time to shove the thing in the shop and put a couple small scrap pieces through it. It seems to work great, though, and I'm impressed with it. It is HUGE and I plan on welding up a mobile base, while on nights, this week. It works out perfect to fit in a spot along the wall, next to my planer, so it shouldn't be too obtrusive in my narrow shop.

Bob
jteneyck said:

Klingspore seems to cut better and clog/burn less than others I have tried.

John

Is that including the industrial abrasive paper? If so, anyone else have that experience with theirs? For those that use industrial abrasives, do you you find the quality better, mostly compared to Klingspor and/or do you find the price better?

Thanks for the input, so far,
Bob
Well my favorite paper overall is the white paper from Industrial abrasives. It clogs less than regular paper for me.
The rolls from supergrit are OK but nowhere near as good as the white paper from IA.

My only experience with klingspor was a batch of 4x24 belts I bought and they lasted only seconds before they ripped at the seams. Never had a belt that bad. Have bought harborfreight belts that were way better.

What I would like is some paper I could use for sanding paint off of reclaimed wood. Sanding just gums up badly. For now I use a set of old knives in the lunchbox planer to take the top layer off and that works way better than sanding. The knives are chipping up the wood from under the paint instead of paper against the paint gum ming it up.
Yes. I bought some strips from Industrial Abrasives for my Delta 18x36. They were the typical reddish brown cloth backed AO grain type and worked OK, better than Delta OE ones, but not as good as Klingspore. All of them last a long time if you don't do something stupid and jamb the machine and as long as you don't try to sand pitchy wood.

John
Very true. Keep the pine and other sappy woods out. Pine is the worst well the yellowish type the bright white stuff isn't bad. Not sure on the exact species. My interest in pine doesn't go past white and yellow.