Countersink recommendations
Morning all, I have a set of good Fuller countersinks albeit I think they are dull from use and some possible burning/heat...have broken & replaced the 1/8" bit twice now...also have a cheap chinese set of tapereds and then some older B&D's about 1/2 or which I've replaced the broken blades in with a sharpened nail. All that said, am looking for the latest greatest countersinks with plug cutters for use primarily with #8 screws....TIA
Stupid is forever, ignorant can be transitory.
Probably not the best out there but I've had good success with the Amana Timberline brand. They are imported but Amana does a good job of qualifying their import brands and the carbide will last you quite a while.

https://www.routerbits.com/carbide-tip-c...drill-bit/
If you want the drill bit + countersink, I recommend Snappy. Made in the US (like Fuller). They use locking hex shafts for cordless drills. Not sure if they make round shanked bits.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I buy some from Menards. Montana is the brand and says made in Montana USA. Sure look like the exact Kobalt ones from Chiwan though. Maybe labeled in Montana. Anyway much cheaper than the amana ones.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

A few years back, I was shopping in HD for some project supplies and was in need of some countersinks. I grabbed some they had on a display, didn't look too closely, wasn't expecting much from them. When I got home and used them for the first time, I was really impressed. Took a closer look at the packaging, they were Wolfcraft brand, (note that is 'Wolfcraft' not Woodcraft), made in Germany even!

I don't see them at my HD anymore, but looks like Amazon carries them. When my current set wears out, I plan to replace them with the same.
I like the type with the hole thru it. Never chips out.
web page cs
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Is Fuller out of business? If not, why not get a replacement set? I got a set from Craigslist earlier this year and love my set.

That said, snappy also makes a nice set. I have ones with centrotec heads for my festool drills. I've also heard good things about Montana tools. I *think* they're the brand bridge city ships with their braces. But not positive.
They are pricey, but I'm very happy with these.

Also, I believe I saw something here about sharpening counter sink bits by creating a counter sink in a piece of wood, with the bit, then applying some honing compound and running the bit in reverse.

Bob
I like the Snappy brand, available at Woodcraft. Hardened, large diameter hex socket bolt, hex shank, and takes regular drill bits (not tapered like the Fuller). The screws I use are not tapered, so it works well for them.
Take a look at the LV 82° Countersink
http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/pag...&cat=3,41306,41328

"The best designed countersink we sell. It is chatterless and will countersink all screws from #0 to the largest.

It is ideal for chamfering hole edges (e.g., for bench dogs) up to 1-1/4" dia. as well.

An excellent tool that works equally well free hand or in a drill press. 3/8" dia. shank.

Made in USA."

I own one of these and it works well.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green