Electric bill driving me crazy
We live in a subdivision of about 40 units. All the houses are about the same size and age. Our power bill is 40-50% more than our neighbors. I am sure heating and cooling take a lot of power, but our bill is still out of range when we are in the months that the temp does not require heating or cooling. We have put in new windows and added insulation to the attic. We added a blanket to the water heater. We have changed to low power lights and have mostly new appliances. Where do I look now?
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
the first step is to turn off every appliance and light in the house and then look at the electric meter and see if it is showing a drain.

If it is showing a drain and nothing is on then the meter is defective.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'd have the power company come out and check the meter - make sure they are getting an accurate read and not estimating it. Also to check and see if its working correctly and how many amps are being drawn.

Then I would have an electrician come out and verify the outlets. If your that much higher than your neighbors your neighbors may be on your circuits as well.

What are the ages of your appliances? The other thing to do is get a Kill-a-Watt meter about $30.00 and you can track the energy use by appliance. Old refrigs or freezers suck massive power.

Keep us posted to the outcome.

Thanks,
Are you comparing energy usage (kW-hrs), or dollars? Sis-in-law's electric bill was about twice that of our house, though our house is twice the size (but she has an in-ground pool). Gas bill was similarly high. Energy usage was more than ours, but the pool pump and heater (gas) accounted for a fair bit of that, as she bypassed the timer. And leaves lights on. And runs the A/C at 68F and leaves doors and windows open sometimes, though I'm not suggesting that's your problem, as you're obviously quite aware (by contrast, she's the most unaware person I've ever met).

But, her electric and gas energy rates were more than twice mine, using the same utility (delivery) as she's only a couple of miles away. I went through her bills, noticed the rates and usage, made some suggestions for saving energy (re-enable the pool timer, close the doors and windows, etc.), and got her to change her supplier. Much smaller bill now. That may not be applicable in your case, but worth mentioning at least.

Oh, and she got a phone call a couple of years ago from some supplier who told her something along the lines that half the utility's customers have to change suppliers, and she just went along with it and authorized it. Variable rate, which shot up not long after. As I said - unaware. I got her to call the utility, and they switched her back.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Could also be loose lugs on a main wire......get a laser temp gun and start checking all breakers. Look for connections that are hotter than the rest.

Ed
A company that does energy audits may help. Old refrigerators can be a power drain. Up north here we have a propane furnace with instant on hot water that really reduced energy consumption.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
I lived in a 6 unit apartment building in the early 1970s. I was a travelling salesman back then and I was home on weekends only. Even with all my appliances off I was getting huge bills.

So I tested my meter by turning off all my appliances and lights. The meter was still spinning.

I called the electric company and explained and they send a technician to test the meter. The meter was fine. It just was not reading my apartment.

Finally I got fed up and called the electric company (ConEd) and told them that I had found an alternative source of electricity and would they please turn off my power.

The physician who had his practice in the building went batsh*t when his power was turned off.

Eventually we resolved the issue but then ConEd offered me a credit (it would have taken several years to get that used up). After much haranguing they sent me a refund check.

All of which is to say that power companies make mistakes. If it can happen in a small (6 unit) building imagine how many mistakes they make in larger ones.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cooler said:

I lived in a 6 unit apartment building in the early 1970s. I was a travelling salesman back then and I was home on weekends only. Even with all my appliances off I was getting huge bills.

So I tested my meter by turning off all my appliances and lights. The meter was still spinning.

I called the electric company and explained and they send a technician to test the meter. The meter was fine. It just was not reading my apartment.

Finally I got fed up and called the electric company (ConEd) and told them that I had found an alternative source of electricity and would they please turn off my power.

The physician who had his practice in the building went batsh*t when his power was turned off.

Eventually we resolved the issue but then ConEd offered me a credit (it would have taken several years to get that used up). After much haranguing they sent me a refund check.

All of which is to say that power companies make mistakes. If it can happen in a small (6 unit) building imagine how many mistakes they make in larger ones.

Yes- I had a customer who's gas service was swapped with a neighbor for at least 10 years. If the utility were to reimburse him, it would have come to thousands. I don't know what they settled for.
He had complained more than once and the problem wasn't found until the right guy showed up.
I would bet your meter has problems or you are paying for someone else's power. Worn AC units tend to run forever too
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I had the same thing in an apartment building while I was in college!