Ft. Gordon (Augusta, GA) Lumber Source
Hey all, it's been quite a while.

I'm now living in Aiken, SC - near Augusta, GA.

I'm looking for a good (and reasonable) source for lumber.

I'm about an hour from Columbia, 2-3 hrs from Atlanta, Charleston, Greenville.

My tools have been in boxes for waaaay too long.

Thoughts?

- JBD
I live in Greenville and there are several.
But, most of the time I order from Wall Lumber in NC.
Cheaper and they ship to me.
Or I find a local guy with saw mille and dryer
Good luck,
Steve
John, welcome back to the States!

There are several decent places to buy hardwood lumber in Columbia. Roy's wood Products in Lugoff (near Columbia) sells common cabinet hardwood lumber, birch, maple, walnut, some cherry and oak. They occasionally have some imported stuff. Lindler Manufacturing on Platt Springs Road in Cayce (also near Columbia) is a custom molding manufacturer. They also sell common hardwood lumber and will joint, plane and/or dimension it for you at a reasonable charge. Mr. Lindler is a trip. He will talk your ear off. Nice guy. Shuman Owens Supply carries mostly construction grade materials, but they have a decent selection of sheet goods and carry a limited selection of oak and some other hardwoods. If you want a great selection if sheet goods as well as hardwood lumber, Google the Wurth Wood Group. They have distribution centers in Charlotte, Greer SC, Charleston and elsewhere in the Southeast (I don't know if they have a center in Augusta). I order from them occasionally and they will deliver to my house. Finally, Mann Tools here is the most complete woodworking tool/supply dealership in Columbia. They have a very nice showroom with an extensive inventory of power tools, machinery and related equipment and supplies. They started carrying nice domestic and imported hardwood lumber a couple of years ago and have continuously expanded their stock. Their prices are high, but the lumber is very good quality and they have stuff you can't find anywhere else around here. Eric Albrecht is their lumber guy. He's very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Hank
Ha - Good to be back!

Thanks for the information. One of the hardest parts of moving around so much is figuring out where to get lumber.
There are some good sources in Atlanta, Peachstate Lumber in Kennesaw, Suwanee Lumber in Suwanee, and Atlanta Hardwoods in Mabelton.
War Eagle!