Raised Panel Router Bit Question
I have a 3 piece CMT "Kitchen Set" that includes router bits for rails, stiles and panels. The panel cutting bit hs no back cutter blade. I'm using it to make a decorative raised panel assembly on the ends of a book case. The project, once installed, will be subject to no movement of any kind.

So here's my question. Is the lack of a back cutting blade on the panel cutting bit a problem ?

The panel will sit proud of its frame, but since space is not a problem, and since the final assembly will not move, and since I'm certainly not finishing the completed panel with a drum sander, who cares? Am I missing something? And, most importantly, do I have to go out and spend $100 to get a bit that matches my set and has a back cutter?
Hammer to fit. Paint to Match!
Without a back cutter you need to plane your panels down to 5/8
Right now they're just shy of 7/8". I don't understand why that's necessary.
Hammer to fit. Paint to Match!
You can use a rabbeting bit as a back cutter. Just set it right for the cut you want.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
barnowl said:

You can use a rabbeting bit as a back cutter. Just set it right for the cut you want.

That's what I do, in fact I make it a point to buy the panel raisers without backcutters since I prefer to do my own.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
barnowl said:

+1

Adjust the width and depth so the panel rests comfortably in the grooves and has the projection on the show side that best fits the project.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Spokaneman said:

Right now they're just shy of 7/8". I don't understand why that's necessary.

You'll need to make a deeper cut on 7/8" stock for the tongue to fit in the frame. You can always just make a small rabbet around the edge of the rear to make it fit in the frame. I like the deeper profile on the front myself... if the bit will cut that deep.
none of the above

I would back cut the panel bring the panel down to just under the frame. any old cutter from a rabbet bit to a just the end of your raised panel bit will work. Yes, it is just another step but a simple one

See my other post to a question you raised for why

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy