PSA For Basement Woodworkers
It is getting cold(er) no matter where you are, and the mice will be be seeker warmer quarters. Set lots of traps in the shop, or expect to be cleaning up rust from their urine on anything cast iron. No, wax won't prevent it.

SWMBO got two this morning.

I use WD40 and 600 wet/dry.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Heated basement here. And cats, lots of cats.

No mice.

John
Basement somewhat heated and with a door for the feral cats to come in. Typically 8 to 17 in residence. No mice, squirrels, rabbits or prairie dogs.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
heated basement, Jack Russell keeps all living things away...except these ba$tards they get in and roam freely in the ceiling...nasty.
Not just basements.

I got a shock in my shed. I store my overflow lumber, upright. I was out there Friday bringing in some boards....moved a board and a mice nest fell....and 3 went running up the boards.....I almost didnt believe it. They were 5 feet off the ground.

2 are now caught.....one to go.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

jteneyck said:

Heated basement here. And cats, lots of cats.

No mice.

John

Not an option for me. In the 5 minutes or so it takes to package a broken hip in a house with cats my eyes would water and nose start to run.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
It doesn't necessarily follow the cooling of the weather here at my place. When we moved in last year, I caught scores of mice in the house and shop...it was a daily "adventure." But, I finally got them under control.

I thought it would pick up again last fall, but it really didn't. Haven't caught a mouse in the shop since last year, and I haven't seen any new evidence out there. There is no water or food source out there, though there is heat.

In the house, I've caught maybe a dozen all year, and only three or so in the past 2 months.

I use a variety of traps. The cat is worthless as a mouser.

Haven't had a ground squirrel get into the house. Had scores of them outside, and various predation methods has their population greatly reduced. I see now that I have to get after the gophers again.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Mice can flatten themselves out to 1/8 inch. Common entry points are where the electrical wires enter or where pipes enter. That can be blocked with copper mesh. You can have an exterminator look for entry points around the base of the house to the foundation. Hilti had some spray foam with mice poison in it.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
WxMan said:

The cat is worthless as a mouser.

Don't feed the cat for a couple of days.

John
Or get snakes.