Advice for wall storage behind workbench?
Hi,

I've always been a fan of French cleats. I have them run around almost every wall of my shop a few feet below the ceiling. I've had to move stuff at times, and it makes it so much easier than a permanent fixture.

A sheet of plywood, or a partial sheet, hanging by a French cleat might be a good option for you. Mount tools and brackets to the plywood rather than the wall so if you want to rearrange things later you don't have a wall full of screw holes.

You can see my cleats in the photo below.

Mike
I agree about French cleats. I used half of a French cleat for the top stringer for my paneling and built three cabinets that hang on the stringers. They hold a lot of stuff and are easy to move around.
This is what I did.

That and it is the second setup.

I made it semi permanent so that I could redo the layout after I used it for a while.

Peter

My "day job"
You may want to consider putting your tools behind doors in cupboards and in easy to reach drawers. The down side to having all your tools on a wall within arms reach is that you have to touch every tool you own in order to do a thorough clean up of your shop space.

When I made furniture for a living I always spent a lot of time cleaning up between projects. When all the tools were in wall cabinets and tools chest the only cleaning required between projects was to take a brush and dust off the tool chest and cupboards.

I could complete a project and start another the same day instead of spending the rest of the day cleaning up before starting the next mess.

Ron Brese
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Ron Brese said:

You may want to consider putting your tools behind doors in cupboards and in easy to reach drawers. The down side to having all your tools on a wall within arms reach is that you have to touch every tool you own in order to do a thorough clean up of your shop space.

When I made furniture for a living I always spent a lot of time cleaning up between projects. When all the tools were in wall cabinets and tools chest the only cleaning required between projects was to take a brush and dust off the tool chest and cupboards.

I could complete a project and start another the same day instead of spending the rest of the day cleaning up before starting the next mess.

Ron Brese

+1

The always used tools--a dozen, maybe--hang out. If not covered, the rest are simply dust and rust magnets. But I have always hated working into a wall, so storage "behind" a bench never happens without the bench turning into a shelf. My projects usually develop where I want to be. Storage is behind me, or in another room.
While I generally agree with Ron's comments and advice, he has overlooked one critical point, I.E., If you have one of his planes, you want it out front, front and center, where everyone can see it. They're works of art and should be seen and enjoyed.
tool organization
Occasional musings on my blog:
bridgerberdel.wordpress.com
This mine:
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I've made one that I saw in an American Woodworker magazine a couple of years ago that I really like and appreciate. It serves equally well at displaying tools and or organizing them and is extremely flexible and easily changeable if need be.
I used pre- milled knotty alder flat door casing material and stained and finished it to my liking. the pieces are then screwed horizontally to some poplar vertical pieces, that are painted the wall color, with an equal spacing between them. You then make your own wood shelves or hammer holders or bitt shelves or chisel holders, whatever you can think of and these wooden pieces have a dadoe on the back of them that fits over any one of the horizontal slats anywhere you want to put it.
I like this system a lot and highly recommend it for its simplicity and flexibility. If you don't like where something is you just move it or change its position until you do, without moving any nails or screws or pegboard deals or fasteners of any kind.
I even made one for my wife and put it on the wall in her craft room with just flat narrow shelves on it that she can display her paintings while she works on them.
I will follow this post up with some pics, but for now might be something that interests a few.
I will find my ipod and go get pics.
Enjoy,
Gordon
Post deleted by gordon 131