shorten a saw blade
What is the best way to shorten a 26" saw blade to 20"?
Cheers ...

Lyn Disbrow: Born in America ... a long long time ago

Cut six inches off.
Dremel tool with cutoff wheel?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I've done a few where the toe was too thin for use. Score it with a cutoff wheel, you don't have to go all the way thru, halfway is good enough. Then put it in a vice and snap it off. If you don't have a wheel, I guess you could score it with a file too. Cleanup the edge with a file.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

I've done a few where the toe was too thin for use. Score it with a cutoff wheel, you don't have to go all the way thru, halfway is good enough. Then put it in a vice and snap it off. If you don't have a wheel, I guess you could score it with a file too. Cleanup the edge with a file.

Put the keeper part in the vise. The throwaway part above the vise. Otherwise you risk bending the plate. You can clean up the break by grinding. Just keep the blade cool. You will lose a bit of the taper when you take off the last 6 inches, so it might be a tad harder to start, because the kerf will be wider at the toe vs. a full length saw. That's assuming it's taper ground.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
First and foremost don't shorten a saw unless years of sharpening has made the blade too narrow in the tip.
I hate when people chop off the tips of perfectly good 26 or 28 inch handsaw to get a very clumsy panel saw substitute. Those long handsaws only exist in a limited number on the market and for every one that is destroyed there will be one less left for us who need them.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
AHill said:

Put the keeper part in the vise. The throwaway part above the vise. Otherwise you risk bending the plate.

Yes, forgot to mention that, very important.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
TobyC said:

Cut six inches off.

I use a big tin snips and shear them off, then file off the burr.
Furniture maker
Clock maker
Trouble maker
www.schoolofwood.com
TGW said:

First and foremost don't shorten a saw unless years of sharpening has made the blade too narrow in the tip.
I hate when people chop off the tips of perfectly good 26 or 28 inch handsaw to get a very clumsy panel saw substitute. Those long handsaws only exist in a limited number on the market and for every one that is destroyed there will be one less left for us who need them.

In my case, I shortened one because the tip was irreparably bent/kinked. I ended up saving a saw that would otherwise be relegated to the rust heap.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill